2002 GEM - looking to upgrade to 35mph/45mph

Can you give me link to magnet ?

Maybe they only do that ones destined for 2005 and up models? Or newer controllers?

I have a 2002 w/ T2 and r4f blue and my speedo is accurate according to my GPS, the “your speed is” signs and the cop hiding behind the billboard.

I have an MM, but found it redundant once I changed the overspeed variable with a programmer.

They make a standard 4 pole magnet and the 1/2 speed 2 pole magnet . If you don’t reprogram your controller or use a mm you would need to install one with a 2 pole magnet to get higher speed .

Thanks. That’s what I suspected they were doing.

The MM divides by other ratios. From 8/16 to 15/16 in 1/16 steps.
That way you can add as little as 1-2 mph or as much as 50mph.
Standard has a 40mph limit which is corrected to mph/kph.
Back in stock in a couple weeks.

Thanks dave, forgot to mention that . On my gems i switched the dash to kph then adjusted the parameters so that what it showed as kph are really mph . so the speedo now shows accurate speed up to 41 mph . This takes a lot of trial and error to get correct because of different gear ratios and tire sizes . Inwo’s mm will make adjustment for you . Just change speedo to kph then adjust the switches on mm until you get the correct speed .

1 Like

I have the 7hp Ride4fun motor and my controller has been reprogrammed. However, when I am going 35 mph in a GEM car that is fast enough! Going faster is simply foolish in such a poorly built car with zero crash protection. Range improvements are a great idea but going faster than this vehicle was designed for is not smart.

1 Like

the point really isn’t to go faster in general. I am upgrading the motor for hills and also for a few roads where going 25 will get many middle fingers. 85 percent of the time I will be going 25 anyway. so I bought the blue motor and will reprogram and report back… thanks!

@inspectorudy You say " going faster than this vehicle was designed for is not smart." But then you say your doing 35 mph in your Gem . It came from the factory limited to 25 mpg ?

put in a larger engine and reprogrammed. Now goes above 30 and hit 36 yesterday. Nothing else needed besides larger engine (D & D) and programming. thanks!

You’d better get some front disc brakes on that thing too. Load it up with 4 adults and those drum brakes are going to take some time/distance to slow you down from 35+ MPH.

Heh, no kidding… I had an 800+ lb pallet on the back of mine a while back, anything resembling a rapid stop was just not in the picture - and that was at 20-25 mph, I wasn’t even going to attempt to push full speed…

agree might spend the $700 to upgrade brakes. Good news is the primary purpose was to get up hills faster 17 mph in the past now 25 and not have people tailgate. Lithium next but probably a year or so away!

1 Like

Grant, with that higher voltage have you ever had Code 41? We pulled an 80v lithium pack out of a 4 seater that had the RFF motor, stock speed limit around 27mph, and no problems.

swap that 80v lithium pack into another 4 seater with the same RFF motor AND a reprogrammed speed controller, and now it trips Code 41. It even did it on a test run literally creeping at 2mph through a parking lot, (So not taxing the motor at W.O.T.)

Trying to narrow down the discrepancy between the two, the plot thickens…

I used to get that code it is because your controller is over heating. I added a heat sink To the back of the controller and some computer fans and I have not received that error since.

1 Like

I get error 41 occasionally as well. I’m in the process of adding a large heatsink. I’m hoping it’s large enough that fans won’t be needed.

@Tyson_Davis are your fans always on or are they on a thermal or manual switch?

I have a switch to turn them on or off. If it is very warm outside I turn them on just in case. I will try it without this summer and see how it goes. So far they are not on and everything is just fine.

I bought a used heat sync off eBay and cut it down to the size of my controller. I mounted case fans to a piece of aluminum plate. To control the on off I mounted a ceramic thermostat (from a gas fireplace insert) to the base plate of the controller. I got power from a 12v wire under hood. Have not ran it hard enough to get the controller hot enough to turn on but it worked great when we put the heat gun to it sitting in the shop.

Looks great! Do you normally keep the splash guard down, covering the controller? I’ve left mine uncovered due to the 41 codes but plan to recover it once the heatsink is installed. I may need to trim it to get the proper airflow under the cover, we’ll see.

What temp activates the switch? If the fans almost never turn on you might consider removing one or two fans for increased airflow. At that point they may never come on but you’d still have a few fans for an extreme case.

Have Mike program controller to turn the fan on. I need to look how to do it myself.
I doubt you will ever warm up a 550a controller.
In any case it’s protected, and will cut back when hot.
Just one more thing to love about Sevcon.