2002 Gem E825 Noise Issue

Wanted to run this Polaris Ranger Steering Boot link past you.

I noticed on NEVA, I believe 2 of the longer boots are needed for each cart. This link provides one long, one short. Was wondering what you think.

Just had my hubs off a 2002 and the boot to the left in the picture appears to be the right shape for steering rack.

Correct if Iā€™m wrong, the longer boot is required for both sides?

I havenā€™t changed them on my current cart but did on a previous one and both sides were identical. Apparently the Polaris machines use different sizes on either side?

1 Like

These are the ones I bought years ago. Fit the steering rack on the 02 e825 longbed just fine. Pretty sure the steering rack is the same from 02 to 03.

Polaris Ranger 400 500 570 700 800 900 Steering Rack Boot (Passenger Side) - 5412013

1 Like

Yeah that looks like them.

The Polaris Ranger boots did not work on my 2014 E6. I needed to go with the NEV boots. In the picture the ranger boots are on the right, about 3/4" diameter too large. NEV boot on the left worked fine.

The one in the amazon link sure looks like the ā€œwideā€ end reduces down to a smaller size than the image you posted above. Did it look like the bag was opened or if it was in a sealed bag did the part number look correct for what was purchased?

IIRC others have used the Polaris Ranger boots without this problem and future GEM users might find this and think they wonā€™t workā€¦

I posted an earlier thread regarding Rack and Pinion boots. I purchased the Ranger that you referenced. It was too big for my 2014 Gem. Maybe the Ranger boot fits other models IDK

I just threw away the ranger boots since they didnā€™t fit. Wish I could have sent them to you

Could you post the amazon link please? Iā€™m curious about the Ranger model they were for. I didnā€™t see it in any of the other threads.

And, maybe put an all caps, bold warning in the post like ā€œthis boot / kit does not fit (your year & model GEM).ā€ That way no one else gets fleeced.

That wasnā€™t Doug, that was me. We do look and sound a lot alike though. Heā€™s taller and way more charming, Iā€™m better looking but Iā€™m lumpy and voluntarily follicle-y challenged.

And I only posted the passenger side boot. A lot of Rangerā€™s steering racks DO use two different size boots. The Polaris p/n 5412013 fitā€™s one side of a number of Rangers, but also fits both sides of many gems

Looking back, I see how I might have not made that completely clear. I did say ā€œpairā€ which could be taken to mean a kit with two or, as I meant it, buying two single boots.

Did you check the parts guide for the '14 e6s? I did say I donā€™t know if it would fit.

Hereā€™s the link of the boot I bought. And donā€™t worry about ā€œsteeringā€ me to the wrong boot because it was only $16. And yes you werenā€™t sure they would fit so Iā€™m not putting any blame on anyone. This is a hobby for all of us and if I make a mistake I will post it in hope that someone else will benefit.
ā€œCaveat Emptorā€

1. the principle that the buyer alone is responsible for checking the quality and suitability of goods before a purchase is made.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E7UW59C?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

funny how the one in your picture which says the NEV Accessories one on the left was the one which worked and it looks just like the one in the picture on the amazon page you linked toā€¦ This is why I wonder if you really got the correct part delivered. Heck, once I ordered some small alligator clip test leads and got a pair of ski pants instead.

hoping somebody will find the definative answer. my '03cart has horrid turning radius and destroyed the bootsā€¦not looking to replace until a solution surfaces. Just saying,.

by the way, Listen to these guys! Donā€™t know their politics, but donā€™t care. We all suffer under the banner of ā€™
Gemā€™s forever!ā€™

Small turning radius is by design, as to not tip over. When you replace your steering boots, IF you want a tighter steering radius pop off the white plastic bushing, closest to the steering gear box (1 on each side). Bushing will be buried in grease. Iā€™m telling you NOT to do it, consider who may drive your cart. At full speed, making a tight turn without the bushing its a little unstable. Since i have a 13 year old, niece and nephew who like to drive it, i out the bushings back on.

Btw 2003 steering boots can be bought off amazon Generic or get the real polaris boots part number 5412013. I bought 1 of each just to see the difference. Polaris boot was thicker came with 1 metal clamp and 2 zip ties, Amazon boot came with no clamps/zip ties (no biggie) but interestingly it is softer and more pliable. Will be interesting to see which one lasts longer.

Small turning radius is by design, as to not tip over.

I doubt tipping is the reason for a poor turning radius. It is more likely the wheelbase of it being a 4 seat car and (unknown) rear config (stakebed?).

If tipping were a real concern then these things would be wider, limited to 10mph, and even the e2 would also take up three lanes.

pop off the white plastic bushing, closest to the steering gear box (1 on each side).

Be careful about doing this. Those bushings are most likely installed to keep from putting too much angle on the outboard CVā€™s. Sure, you might get a tighter turn out of your car, but give it a little too much pedal in a fully locked turn and you will be shopping for a set of new drive axles.

Without spacers to push the front wheels out, I think the tires might hit the lower frame assembly on the 00-04 if you mess with the rack to get more travel out of it.

Have you done this with good results? Want to change out my oil.

Did the OP find out what the original problem was?