2002 GEM-2 Loud clunking noise

Had just come back from a short trip and parked the Gem, a couple hours later went out to put it up and when I turned the key to the on position got a very loud clunking sound, turned it to off position and got same loud clunking noise. Tried it several times and still get the clunking noise from in the on or off position. It still runs and I drove it into the garage. Any ideas of what’s going on?

How long have you had this car? Has it ever made this noise before?
It sounds like it is the normal noise from the main relay kicking in and out. Is it triggered by KeyON/OFF cycle?

Otherwise it might be that guy and his walker caught in the undercarriage of your car. Recommend extricating extra hardware and unwilling passenger and staying off the sidewalk.

Have not owned it long, couple of months, has not made that clunky sound before. Checked for critters or other possible hanger oners but none showed up.
Thanks for your reply, hopefully it’s as you stated, I’ll let you know if anything else develops???

It has not made this clunky noise before.

Does it make the clunk when you take the Ebrake off. If so it’s the main concator

I will try tomorrow and see?

Need more info. This could be anything. Your car is 21 years old.

Attempt to isolate the moment(what you actually do) that causes the clunk.

• Is it repeatable or random?

• Is this constant and speed related?

• is this a deep guttoral chunky noise? → there might be something bumping around inside your gearbox getting ready to bust off some teeth.

• Is this noise coming from the front or back of the car?

If occurring when accelerating/decel/switching direction might indicate a loose gearbox or something in the driveline. Possibly even a loose spline/axle at the wheel hub.

• Are your halfshaft/axle boots intact or torn? A constant clicking/clunking related to wheel speed/revolution will be a pointer and may get louder when turning.

If it happens when going in and out of driveway, going around/turning a corner or hitting a bump/dip in the road, then look at the back of the car at the rear axle. Those things are notorious for developing cracks where the outboard trailing arms are welded to the cross bar/axle. The car probably tips wildly now too. Crawl under the back of the car with a lightand have a friend roll the back of the car side to side and look at the rear axle for signs of mayhem.

It also could be bushings in the front of the car. The rubber at the arms, shocks, ball joints, are all 20 years old (unless replaced by a previous owner).

Is there excessive play in the steering? Have your assistant turn steering wheel looking for worn out steering components.

AR, thanks again for the response.

Repeatable,… yes, sounds off only when you move the ignition key to the on or off position.

Constant,… yes, when it’s sitting, have not driven to see if the noise appears then. Will try it.

Guttural noise… yes, have not driven to see if noise sounds off then. Will drive it and see

**Noise location, …**it’s coming from under the floorboard drivers side forward where your left foot goes

This is my first GEM and really have very little knowledge of there operation, so any help or insight is really appreciated,

hamsman

| AssyRequired
August 15 |

• | - |

Need more info. This could be anything. Your car is 21 years old.

Attempt to isolate the moment(what you actually do) that causes the clunk.

• Is it repeatable or random?

• Is this constant and speed related?

• is this a deep guttoral chunky noise? → there might be something bumping around inside your gearbox getting ready to bust off some teeth.

• Is this noise coming from the front or back of the car?

If occurring when accelerating/decel/switching direction might indicate a loose gearbox or something in the driveline. Possibly even a loose spline/axle at the wheel hub.

• Are your halfshaft/axle boots intact or torn? A constant clicking/clunking related to wheel speed/revolution will be a pointer and may get louder when turning.

If it happens when going in and out of driveway, going around/turning a corner or hitting a bump/dip in the road, then look at the back of the car at the rear axle. Those things are notorious for developing cracks where the outboard trailing arms are welded to the cross bar/axle. The car probably tips wildly now too. Crawl under the back of the car with a lightand have a friend roll the back of the car side to side and look at the rear axle for signs of mayhem.

cracked trailing arm

It also could be bushings in the front of the car. The rubber at the arms, shocks, ball joints, are all 20 years old (unless replaced by a previous owner).

Is there excessive play in the steering? Have your assistant turn steering wheel looking for worn out steering components.

Yes, only makes the clunk noise when ebrake is off and ignition switch is moved to on or off.
I s the word ‘concator’ the right word you are referring to what is wrong?

Yes, Main Contactor. Back to my original post.
If it is activated with the KeyON, Brake release sequence it is most likely the Main Contactor. It is on the right side of the car right below the windshield.

Lifting the upper dash and inspecting over on the passenger side it will be more obvious. Not sure why you never noticed it before as it always happens when you power cycle the car. Possibly it was stuck closed and finally managed to free itself.

Thanks again AR.

Not being knowledgeable with the Gem electrical or mechanical systems is the Contactor a unit that you replace vs repairing? If it has to be replaced, where can I get one?
And, another dumb question how does the upper dash come off?

This was the first time that the clunk noise has happened, your probably right that it was stuck closed and then freed itself?

I will try the dash thing tomorrow and see and let you know.

Regards, hamsman

there are 2 screws(philips style IIRC) found just under the lower edge of the windshield in the metal rail which runs across the front of the GEM when you open the hood. They are screwed into rubber crommits so there’s not a nut on the other side to worry about.

Once those 2 screws are removed, you’ll pull up on the edge of the dash to release some velcro. 2 pieces at the front corners then a couple more spaced across the front. It kinda peels up. You lift the dash up so it’s almost the same angle as the windshield and then pull it out the passenger side.

Thanks very much,

Will try removing the dash tomorrow.

AR, This was the first time hearing the noise. Is it supposed to make a noise?

Removed the upper dash and here’s what I found (see 2-photos attached) as you stated on the passenger side under the window. The shaft moves in and out when the key is switched from off to on and on to off and makes the noise.

Is that what’s is supposed to do?

Thanks again, hamsman

Thanks doug,

It was easier than I anticipated to remove it. But just as you said.

See 2 photos attached…when you turn the key on or off the shaft moves and causes the noise, is it supposed to do that or should it be silent?

Thanks again, hamsman

That’s what I have been trying to say. I have no idea why you haven’t heard that noise before.

Yes, it is supposed to make that rather sharp “snap” when KeyON, and a little lesser of a thump when powering down.

It even becomes part of the standard diagnostic and reassuring clack when you do hear it, as it means all is OK and you are about ready to go when pedal is pressed.

What you are hearing is normal.

That’s great news, as I thought I had a real problem.
Appreciate all who responded with help.

But you do have a real prpblem… its a 2002…
:laughing:

Keep rubbing it in…LOL

JJ also enjoys shaking salt on the snails in his garden.