2002 Gem e2 (No power)

I bought a dc to dc converter off eBay. It was advertised as new never installed. I plugged it in. I have 72vdc on pins 1 & 12 but no 12vdc on pins (neg 4-5-6 & pos 7-8-9 or 10). Is this converter bad?

Check the fuses. Most of them have a low amp 72V input fuse and a higher amp 12V output fuse. We have had a plastic fuse holder melt due to overload.

Daniel

Daniel, thanks for your response, but I am still confused. According to the drawings in the O&M Manual, the dc to dc converter is a self contained black box. Voltage in (72vdc) Voltage out (12vdc). Any fusing is on the outside of this black box. I checked the voltage going in and it is good 72vdc. But on the voltage out pins 12vdc nothing?
I also tried to put and outside source 12vdc on the fuse buss. I attached positive 12 vdc to the red wire going from the converter to the fuse block buss. First I disconnected the converter from this wire. I had 12vdc on the fuse block, but nothing worked, lights etc. What am I missing? Pulling my hair out, and I ain’t got that much to start with.

[QUOTE=Fhratcliff1947;12294]I bought a dc to dc converter off eBay. It was advertised as new never installed. I plugged it in. I have 72vdc on pins 1 & 12 but no 12vdc on pins (neg 4-5-6 & pos 7-8-9 or 10). Is this converter bad?[/QUOTE]

What year GEM do you have? I know of at least three different supposedly interchangeable converters. The GEM doesn’t really have a fuse panel like cars do. All of the 12 volt stuff is distributed directly from the long long plastic connectors. Post a detailed picture of your converter so I can compare it with my notes and schematics.

Daniel

Dan, can you PM me? I have the same 12v power supply issue…

Original poster did you ever figure out your problem? I believe I am facing the same thing except I don’t even get the beeping from the ebrake when it is off. Everything worked one night and nothing the next! :slight_smile:

was a bad DC converter… the local golf cart shop replaced it free under recall

I just called Polaris and got a case number for mine as well. I hope that is the problem! Now I just have to get it hauled in there.

Thanks for the quick response.

Susp3nc3, you have a true survivor! Those printed circuit board DC convertors were recalled over 10 years ago. They were prone to catch fire when water splashed under the dash. One of ours did and still has the burn marks under the dash. Call GEM to schedule a technician to complete the recall. I know of another member of this forum who just had their old convertor replaced last month. The black plastic case to the left in your picture is your battery charger, which is the Zivan NG1 type. Check it for a small sticker saying “micro upgraded”. This was an important software update from Zivan.

Daniel

Im not sure if you were talking to me or the OP. :slight_smile: My charger I bought off ebay has been micro upgraded many moons ago according to the Zivan tech support. We got it to the 3.5A for the Trojan scs225’s. When I plug the charger in it beeps and blinks red…but I can turn the master switch off and then it turns solid yellow. I turned it back to on while solid yellow and it took the batteries to a full charge of green after about 4 hours. Not sure why I had to do it that way but maybe it has something to do with the DC board? Ill report my situation after the repair is completed. Have a great day all!

Could you help me get the recall done on my '02 GEM? Last time I called GEM about the recall, they told be to talk to a local dealer. The “local” dealer just blew me off and said he knows nothing about it. My DC convert is fine, but I’d like to get the upgraded part installed just in case.

Got the car back today. New DC board, parking brake, and new splash guards all courtesy of Polaris!! Car works like a champ now!

Hello,
searching for some help.
2006 Gem car has been sitting with dead batteries and master power switch off since Sep 2013.
Put new batteries in today. Charger came on when plugged in.
Batteries charged to 79V.
No lights on dash display when charger unplugged.
I have tried turning the master power switch off and on and noticed that my dash display comes on momentarily when I turn the switch to OFF.
Is the switch bad? It is located in the lower dash behind a small panel that opens with the key and there is also a fuse panel there. All fuses in the panel check good including the 72V system fuse. Are there other fuses?

Any help and or advice would be greatly appreciated!
thanks,
Scrappy

[quote=Scrappy;20717]Hello,
searching for some help.
2006 Gem car has been sitting with dead batteries and master power switch off since Sep 2013.
Put new batteries in today. Charger came on when plugged in.
Batteries charged to 79V.
No lights on dash display when charger unplugged.
I have tried turning the master power switch off and on and noticed that my dash display comes on momentarily when I turn the switch to OFF.
Is the switch bad? It is located in the lower dash behind a small panel that opens with the key and there is also a fuse panel there. All fuses in the panel check good including the 72V system fuse. Are there other fuses?

Any help and or advice would be greatly appreciated!
thanks,
Scrappy[/quote]

GEM does not operate at all not just no dash lights. :frown:

I have a 99 gem e4. There was a recall on the dc converter i brought it to my local gem dealership for the service the kid was overwhelmed by the job and couldn’t do it so i brought it home and did it my self. When i finished the job it seems like the inverter interlock relay isn’t turning off it’s like it’s plugged in to charge but it isn’t. I found a leftover black/red wire that originally when into the dc converter now there is no place for it. Is there a way to just bypass the interlock system so i can drive it. I don’t know if it matters or not but I’ve got a SAFT charger is it not compatible anymore or something. Can you guys help me out here.

The SAFT charger is obsolete. The two wires that went to the interlock must be jumped together.

Daniel

That’s what I figured but I don’t know what wires

The interlock wires are a green wire and a red/green wire. Both are light 16 gauge wires. When connected together, the GEM should have power. Remember, if these wires are jumped, the GEM will still drive with the cord plugged in.

Daniel

Mine is an 02 with the same problem! Been sitting since 04. I Installed new batteries charger came on and worked great. All I get is a buzz when I let off the parking brake. Power on or off, No lights on the dash, horn,blinkers, all dead.
I got $1600.00 in this thing and I need HELP! Wife is going to kill me for burning sixteen hundred dollars on this CAR! HELP!

Check all of the fuses. Look for 12 volt DC output from the convertor. Please describe which type of convertor your GEM has.