2002 gem car no power no code

picked up another gem at junk yard all batteries are putting out 73 to 76 volts when i turn the power switch on the mileage blinks then all shuts down no power anywhere i cleaned all connections any ideas
thanks in advance

There are two fuses on the DC / DC convertor. make sure you are getting 12 volt accessory output. Also, protect yourself from runaway when troubleshooting a vehicle that is in poor condition. Consider that someone may have defeated safety interlocks to try and “make it run.”

Daniel

I think it has an upgraded DC converter, it looks like a little black box with a big wire harness going to it. Are there any fuses that go with the upgraded one? I checked all fuses in the fuse box and they all look good. I also swapped it out and put in another DC converter. When I turned the power switch on, the display shows miles and then zeros and then nothing but a buzz from a little small round thing that is next to the DC converter. I sent out 2 controllers to be tested to see if they work. I have 72 to 76 volts to the top of the controller and 72 to 76 to the white thing on the panel above the DC converter. Thanks again for your help.

real cute thanks anthony

There have been several “official” DC convertors used over the years. First, were the printed circuit board type that were recalled. These were junk and any remaining today are true survivors. Next came the “brick” sized block with the electronics immersed in epoxy. Later came the finned aluminum box type. I consider either of these later two to be reliable. There are several aftermarket choices as much industrial equipment, such as locomotives, use a 72 volt DC system. Regardless of type, the GEM factory manual will explain the wire colors and purpose for each of the two large connectors, the individual terminals, and the voltage used in each.

Daniel

no voltage to key switch

I have 72 to 75 volts to the motor after bypassing the contactor. It’s not running. Does that mean it’s no good?

Voltage is needed to both the field and armature windings of the motor. Be very carefull about bypassing the contactor or any other switch in the traction circuit. Raise and support the front wheels to prevent a dangerous runaway.

Daniel

back to work on this thing after taking a break for a few weeks i have 72 volts to key switch traced the 72 volts to dc convertor but no 12 volt coming out of it i tried 3 dc convertors that i had sitting around all with no luck what next please i have to get this thing out of my garage

[QUOTE=gotfive;13779]back to work on this thing after taking a break for a few weeks i have 72 volts to key switch traced the 72 volts to dc convertor but no 12 volt coming out of it i tried 3 dc convertors that i had sitting around all with no luck what next please i have to get this thing out of my garage[/QUOTE]

The Zivan charger has a disconnect mechanism in it which will keep the GEM from powering up if the charger is powered from the AC cord. Make sure that’s not your problem.

When the key switch is turned on you should immediately get a loud click from the contactor and the display should light up. If not, you’re missing 12 volts which could indicate the DC to DC converter is bad or that the interlock relay is not closing. There was a thread here a while back which mentioned running the GEM with no charger. It has the colors of the two wires to short together to temporarily bypass the interlock relay.

Bob in MA - 2002 GEM eL (XD?)

There are two small individual green/red wires that attach at the top of the Vivan charger. Jumping these together will allow the GEM to run with the charger removed from the circuit.

Daniel

thanks to all the one wire from the dc convertor was in th wrong place