2002 GEM 285 no longer reaches full speed

Hi, I have a 2002 GEM 285 which no longer reaches full speed. Over the last couple of months the top speed has gone from 25/26 mph to 20/21 mph. Batteries check out good,
new charger. No error codes. Any Ideas?

1 Like

I don’t know what you did to check out the batteries, but check them again… :slight_smile:
Also, check for a dragging brake at one of the corners (brake stuck partially engaged).

4 Likes

How old are these batteries?
What are they?
Have you checked the balance on them lately?

Run your pack through a charge cycle.
Note the voltage of each battery.
Put your meter on your controller and note this fresh off charge Pack voltage.
Then take it for a spin up to max speed. Note that voltage while running.
How low did it drop?
Go back and check each battery again. Look for one that has dropped V more than the others. There may be one weaker than the others.

Also check for a loose connection. “Tight and bright” is the rule!

1 Like

I also like MikeKC’s Dragging Brake theory.

Also check tire pressure.

When was the last time your motor was serviced? Are you getting any grumbly or popping noises out from the front end when accelerating or at max speed?

1 Like

Thank you for your input, I’ll check
brakes, tire pressure. Batteries had an analyzer put on each of them and all were up to 13.5 - 14 volts.
How about the car stuck in turf mode?
Thanks

1 Like

Batteries had an analyzer put on each of them and all were up to 13.5 - 14 volts.

This doesn’t sound right. But Ok.

Turf mode would be half speed. You could verify this by putting it in low to see if there is a difference.

1 Like

So, when I put it turf mode it does change speeds to a slower speed. It appears that is not the problem. I’ll check tire pressure later this pm.

all were up to 13.5 - 14 volts

This doesn’t sound right. But Ok.

Additional thought- Almost like someone left the charger plugged in when they hooked up the analyzer.

Note- analyzer is not the same thing as a load tester.

1 Like