2002 E825 charger does nothing at all

Where would I get the updated DeltaQ? LOL, I do have a drill.

I changed the fuse and charger works again, kinda. The fan comes on, but no lights show on the dashboard. Usually red, then orange, then green. Is there a voltage that I should be looking for to see if it is really charging?

I have the correct Deltaq . It is the 912-7254 And it comes with the conversion cable.

It’s a curve, for lead-acid, it can vary anywhere from around 76 to 88 depending on which charge profile is selected and what the state of charge is of the pack when you turn it on and what stage the charger is in.

If your pack voltage is too low, the charger won’t start. You’ll need to charge each battery individually with a “dumb” 12V automotive charger first.

The 5-pin DIN plug that powers the pod tri-color LED and also connects to the temp sensor is not required for operation. If the temp sensor is not connected, the charger will just default to the max settings for the profile. Sometimes the zivan chargers would do some wonky stuff if the temp sensor was on the fritz. Like cutting out early or other random behavior. Before the Zivan in my '02 went completely out, I saw this first hand. After I figured out what was going on, I just unplugged the DIN connector and ran the charger that way 6 months or so before the AC-DC section went out.

BTW, @LithiumGods hooking you up at $395 for the proper DQ charger, it’s a better choice than the SCO-7210 which is going to run you $500-ish new plus shipping on 40lbs of steel and copper. The DQ charger is a more valuable and versatile charger if you ever go to sell or part out the GEM. The SCO is very trouble free, they almost never fail, it’s a goddamn tank that can shrug off massive amounts of abuse but it’s not very bright nor versatile.

1 Like

Oh, and if the fuse at #1 is blown, the charger is very highly likely done for good.

For guys like @AssyRequired, the two trim pots at #2 are for tweaking the output, but, you need a substantial resistive load on it and because it’s a high-frequency charger an oscilloscope to actually see what you are doing, since a multi-meter is just going to average the output

1 Like

it’s a goddamn tank that can shrug off massive amounts of abuse but it’s not very bright nor versatile.

This sounds like a few people I know!!!
:laughing: :laughing:

the two trim pots at #2 are for tweaking the output,

Thanks for the tip. Good to know. I will put this in my bag of tricks

So far, it seems to be working again. I put a microwave over fuse in the 120v as that is what I had on hand. Off topic: I bought this 2002 Gem E825 6 years ago for $2,800 and use it constantly around the farm and for travel to our nearby lake cabin. I have it registered for road use and insured under our auto policy. It certainly earned it’s keep. Would like to get a newer one, save the cost is more than a used EV car. Maybe get a used Leaf for $1,500 and put a truck bed on it.