2001 suddenly quit

Glad to hear it! I love Probing!

You are apparently done for the night?
Did you not see that I was waiting for input?

No, I did not. Iā€™m not sure where you are but itā€™s late here. Iā€™m in Atlanta. We had a number of friends over tonight for a meeting. I feel asleep in my chair when they left and just woke up. Iā€™m an old man. Iā€™ll report back tomorrow.

And assyrqd said to be ready for a meter!

Rarrww!

Iā€™m in the process of leaving town for a week on a family vacation so Iā€™m not sure how much Iā€™ll get done in the time before we leave. I appreciate all of your help and Iā€™m looking forward to metering! I have several and know how to use them. Thx

So closeā€¦
. . . . . .
. . . .
. .

Looking forward to it!

Remember, lead acid based batteries need to always be fully charged except when in use. And when you know youā€™ll not be using the GEM for more than a few days, throw the master battery disconnect to eliminate all battery drains.

I check my batteries and get 12.4v on each battery. I need to figure out which is the first battery and which is the last and get an extension wire to check the full pack voltage. Iā€™ll put it back on the charger and see if the batter will come up to a full charge.

I think what dougL was referring to is more along the lines of how you should be staging your car if you are planning on not being back for a while.

1. Run through a full charge cycle
  2. Unplug car/charger
  3. Flip the Main Battery Disconnect to OFF.
1 Like

That is correct, but yes, 12.4V is not a fully charged healthy batteryā€¦ charger it, unplug charger, disconnect battery and come back to what should be a still fully charged battery.

Ok, I got the dash pieces off, but there is a charger port in the lower dash piece. It was added I guess itā€™s riveted in and has no disconnects on the wires. Iā€™ll have to cut the wires or drill the rivets out to take the piece out.

Batteries look good and each tests at 12.4v. Hopefully, they will pull up a bit more on the charger. Iā€™d like to mount my charger inside the cart, by thatā€™s later. Gotta get it running first.

Hang on-
I thought you were leaving town?

Whereā€™d you go?
Are you still around the car?

Saturdays morning. But, itā€™s for a week and in Park City, UT. I donā€™t even own any winter cloths. I have a lot to do to get ready. Hopefully, Iā€™ll get to work on it some tomorrow. I assume I also need to get the steering column cowling off to test those circuits. I need to get some bulbs for the lights to see if those work. It doesnā€™t look like the blinker relay is working g either. You mentioned earlier that I should hear a click or something when I turn it on. At this time I donā€™t hear anything. What does that tell me? On my club car I get that solenoid click when I depress the accelerator pedal. Thanks again for the help. I should have more time when I get back.

I got that. The batteries are on the charger. I donā€™t know anything about the batteries. Itā€™s a mixed bag of batteries and the age is unknown. 12.4v may be the best they can do. They will charge until tomorrow night before we leave. Then weā€™ll see when I get back next weekend. Thanks for the he pop.

Slow down. You are jumping too far ahead.
All I want you to do next is this:

You totally dodged Step 1.
I know you said the display does not light up. (OK, I get that).
But what Iā€™m looking for is something that happens not with the keyON, but when you initially power-up the car from a cold start.

Did you verify this? Your answer was not clear or I missed it. (Yes- it is important)

Step 1

• Start with cart fully powered down. (Main Batt Disconnect SwOFF for at least 60 seconds or more)
  • Flip MBDS ON and quickly look at the Dash Display. It should light up, show a few numbers, then go out. This takes maybe 5 seconds. This is normal.

Confirm(Y/N?)

I donā€™t think I understood what you previously said the way you said it this time. I did what you said the first time, but Iā€™ll try that. So, what should that tell me?

That tells me if the controller is getting precharge power, the display is getting power and connected properly to the controller.

If it passes this test we go to step two.

Very good. Iā€™ll give that a try tomorrow. Thx

OK, With the key in the Off position, I turned teh MBSD to Off.
When I turned it ON, I did get some numbers briefly, very briefly.

Top Number:
0078 & 0072 ( I did i twice and got those two readings)

Bottom Number:
1387 (same both times)

So, is that a good thing? Something is going on, huh?

Thanks again for the help. Now to Step 2 I presume?

Joe