2000 E825 Key Switch bypassed

I have a 2000 E825 GEM, when I got it, the key switch had been removed. I installed a GEM replacement key switch using the service manual & another 2000 E825 for guidance. The key now controls the lights, blinkers & wipers but the motor engages whether the key is in the on or off position. Does anyone know what would cause this? I want to be able to park it & prevent it from being driven without the key. Thanks, rjol

Do you hear the contactor click when you turn on the ignition switch? It could be bypassed or the activation wire could be hacked so it’s always on.

Bob in MA
2002 GEM el xd

[QUOTE=bob.peloquin;14182]Do you hear the contactor click when you turn on the ignition switch? It could be bypassed or the activation wire could be hacked so it’s always on.

Bob in MA
2002 GEM el xd[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply, I don’t recall when the contactor engages, I’ve been working on it this weekend, the charger wasn’t working & I found the 120 AC connector to the charger was disconnected, I reconnected it & the charger came on & charged the batteries to full/green in about 7 hours. I replaced the BDI because the one it the car had no display. I replaced the front brake shoes, started to bleed them & then discovered it doesn’t engage the contactor or the motor. All 12 volt systems work with the ignition key on. I think I went through a the troubleshooting steps I. The service manual & can’t find a problem. I have found that all the wiring harnesses under the dash appear to have been spliced, they are soldered together & electrical taped. Many of the wires are faded. I think it might have to replace the wiring harnesses so I know that the connections are all correct. How can I identify the activation wire & tell if it has been bypassed?

In trying to solve another problem, the contactor wasn’t engaging, I traced it to the gray/white wire on this CIT Relay, when I pushed on the wire to check if it was seated, the contactor engaged momentarily. I swapped the relay from my other E825 & the contactor engaged AND the the problem with the key bypassed was resolved, with the replacement relay the contactor only engages with the key in the “ON” position.

Now I need to find where I can get a replacement relay so I can use both cars. Any one know where I can get this relay?

TIA,
Bob

Doesn’t look like too unique a relay. I’m sure a regular 40 amp automotive relay will work. Just mind the terminal numbers since there will be an 87 and an 87A on most automotive relays. Won’t mount the same way but should work equally well.

In trying to solve another problem, the contactor wasn’t engaging, I traced it to the gray/white wire on this CIT Relay, when I pushed on the wire to check if it was seated, the contactor engaged momentarily. I swapped the relay from my other E825 & the contactor engaged AND the the problem with the key bypassed was resolved, with the replacement relay the contactor only engages with the key in the “ON” position.

Now I need to find where I can get a replacement relay so I can use both cars. Any one know where I can get this relay?

TIA,
Bob

[QUOTE=RJOL;14429]In trying to solve another problem, the contactor wasn’t engaging, I traced it to the gray/white wire on this CIT Relay, when I pushed on the wire to check if it was seated, the contactor engaged momentarily. I swapped the relay from my other E825 & the contactor engaged AND the the problem with the key bypassed was resolved, with the replacement relay the contactor only engages with the key in the “ON” position.

TIA,
Bob[/QUOTE]

Here are a couple of links that may help…

CIT Relay & Switch - Illuminated (LED) switches, pushbutton and many other relay and switch products.

J115F31AL12VACS.9 datasheet, Pinout ,application circuits Solid State Relays,Solid-State Relay

http://www.netcomponents.com/results.htm?d=1&t=f&r=1&pn1=J115F31A12VDCS

PartsForIndustry Parts Listing for CIT RELAY

Great, thanks

1 Like

[QUOTE=LuvMyTJ;14433]Here are a couple of links that may help…

CIT Relay & Switch - Illuminated (LED) switches, pushbutton and many other relay and switch products.

J115F31AL12VACS.9 datasheet, Pinout ,application circuits Solid State Relays,Solid-State Relay

http://www.netcomponents.com/results.htm?d=1&t=f&r=1&pn1=J115F31A12VDCS

PartsForIndustry Parts Listing for CIT RELAY[/QUOTE]Hmmmm… I guess it’s a lot more involved than simply using an automotive relay. You need the long-term reliability and positive switching this high-quality relay provides.

Try this for the data sheet as the link I gave makes you jump through hoops to get it to show correctly… https://mega.co.nz/#!ZF41wZaL!N-Eeix_EIPBT7jaeeTEkGkR0zIM_3-PNYsjxbXC75yk

Thanks for the research you did, you’re right, it looks like its not a typical automotive application