2001 GEM E825 all kinds of problems!

I have a 2001 GEM E825 that I picked up from my buddy after it died on him and he couldn’t figure it out. So here’s what I got; The charger (zivan) has been updated and works fine (light even works). The main harness and PWB have been updated and tested and are good. I have proper voltage at the main contactor but I cant get the contactor to engage, (I don’t really know all that much as of to how the contactor works). I am only getting 13.5 volts to the key switch. Is there supposed to be 72? I did bypass the charger and finally got power to the horn, blinkers and wiper. Also note that when I bypassed the charger I finally got power to the small rear connections on the main contactor but the contactor still would not engage. I did however get ERROR CODE -15 on the screen but it disappeared and only numbers 0302 4241 appeared and then disappeared as well. I know there is probably a lot more that you need to know but please help.

The contactor engages the power side (72v high amp) to allow the controller to feed power to the motor. I haven’t checked my 01 E825 but having 12+volts at the key switch sounds right to me.

What was your buddy doing when it quit running?

You checked all the fuses? That would be the most obvious cause of your problems. There are a couple of fuses down by the contactor that would shut down the power.

Al

[quote=ARandall;16826]The contactor engages the power side (72v high amp) to allow the controller to feed power to the motor. I haven’t checked my 01 E825 but having 12+volts at the key switch sounds right to me.

What was your buddy doing when it quit running?

You checked all the fuses? That would be the most obvious cause of your problems. There are a couple of fuses down by the contactor that would shut down the power.

Al[/quote]

How do you get at the fuses by the contactor? Fuse block items are ok.

Check for 72v B+ at pin 1 on controller, and pin 2 with key on. That’s all you need for display to light up.

The controller pulls in main C so you wiil not have to worry about that until display comes on.

I worry about bypassing charger. Easy to damage controller by jumping wires.

The key is fed from charger. Thru key switch into pcb. Pcb sends 72v to pin 2 of controller when key is on.

Do not check power circuits from grd. Use B- as common for meter. At control or battery neg.

When Rodney gets here, he will help. I know how car works, but no experience. :o

Code -15 is low volts on P1 of 23p connector at key closure.

If you have checked the obvious and gone thru the trouble shooting tree the controller probably needs work. I sent 2 of mine in last week.