1999 GEM E825 Charges but

99 GEM E825 with the Zivan charger onboard, not the original. I recently replaced all 6 batteries with regular deep cycle batteries, not GEL or AGM.

The car runs great and I finally decided to charge up the new batteries when they reached 79%.

When I plugged in the charger the red light on the dash came on and the charger fan started running…all good signs I guess.

After about an hour, the red light was still on and the electrical cord was warm. I un-plugged the charger and the batteries indicated 100%.

I think something is wrong… like the light should have gone yellow, then green when charged???

I bought this rig [I]very[/I] used and turned it into a project to get it going again.

Any help is appreciated.:help:

It is common for our GEMs to stay red for more than an hour if the batteries are low. Check the voltage of all batteries together. Your reading should be in the high 70’s. Check that the battery cables are connected properly. this is a common problem when changing batteries. Do you know what mode the charger is set to? GEL, AGM, and flooded batteries all require different charging profiles for maximum performance and battery life. The correct setting for flooded batteries is “F”. It is okay for batteries to become slightly warm when charging, but they should not get hot or release rotten egg smell into the air.

Daniel

[QUOTE=GEMmechanic;12213]It is common for our GEMs to stay red for more than an hour if the batteries are low. Check the voltage of all batteries together. Your reading should be in the high 70’s. Check that the battery cables are connected properly. this is a common problem when changing batteries. Do you know what mode the charger is set to? GEL, AGM, and flooded batteries all require different charging profiles for maximum performance and battery life. The correct setting for flooded batteries is “F”. It is okay for batteries to become slightly warm when charging, but they should not get hot or release rotten egg smell into the air.

Daniel[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply!

How do you know how to make sure your charger is set for the right batteries? I recently changed my batteries and the charger doesn’t charge them, when they get below 50-60% I have to charge them individually and then the onboard charger will take them to about 90% or so, I have the same batteries that were in it before, it’s driving me nuts. I had a guy look at it and he said that it’s the charging system, I’ve already put $800 in batteries in it, the zivian charger is about $500-600, I’m actually tired of putting money in the damn thing

The zivan NG1 are 20 years old now. It might be bad, depends on how it got used. 20 years is a long time for that kind of electronics.

Take the dash off, unplug the din connector. You’ll lose the led on the pod, but it will tell if you have a bad temp sensor.

There should be a round cover up sticker on top of the charger. There often is a micro dial under it. Cross reference that setting to the chart on the front of the charger.

A pirate walks into a bar with a ships wheel hanging from his belt buckle. The bartender points this out and it’s close proximity to his privates. The pirate nods slowly and says "Arrg…

1 Like

I’ve already put $800 in batteries in it,
I’m actually tired of putting money in the damn thing

Only $800? You DO realize you have a 20 year old cart there? Just read through the archives a bit if you really want to a glimpse of your future.

Performance, reliability, and usefulness is DIRECTLY related to how high the Fun meter pegs, and inversely related to money left on your wallet.

You might want to get out now while you can.

1 Like

Palmetto armory is running a Halloween sale on bullets and napalm. Order before midnight and extra 20% off