1999 e825 knocking when accelerating

I have a 1999 e825 and it has started to have a knocking sound seemingly coming from the front ride side. It happens once I push the pedal. Can anyone please help me understand what needs to be replaced to fix it?

1 Like

The typical cause is the "rubber bumper’ which is inside the motor spline socket. The transmission has a splined shaft and the bumper keeps the shaft from bumping into the bottom of the splined motor socket.

1 Like

Thanks Dougl! So if I replace the rubber bumper differential I should be fine? Or that would be the initial step you would suggest in figuring this out?

Ride 4 Fun has one that has spines on it. Should I get that one OR the stock replacement?

Additionally, how difficult is the repair?

1 Like

if it solves your knocking problem then you’re done. The motor has to be removed to install the rubber bumper and that includes removing 4 wires to the motor. But, if you don’t hold the nuts under each wire when you turn the nut holding the wire you can spin the electrical connection in the motor and break the connection inside the motor. You know, like having two nuts on a bolt you must hold the lower nut from turning when releasing the upper one.

after you remove the 4 wires there are then only 4 bolts holding the motor to the transmission. And the motor is heavy so don’t drop it or that too can damage it. There are probably dozens of discussions in this forum on this rubber bumper.

AS for which one, I didn’t have luck with the NEV ones lasting too long so I ended up purchasing OEM ones. YMMV

1 Like

I will let you know if I need more help after this repair. Thank you very much for your insight!

1 Like

Does it make noise when ypu turn right?

If so chexk the cv joint