1.5 Year Old Gel Batteries Already Dead

Eop

Call me 251 269 3182

1 Like

[quote=EOppegaard;33035]Hey Inwo,

In a nutshell, my GEL batteries seem to have been cooked after only 1.5 months. Before I go out and try to get what’s left of the pro-rata warranty on them I wanted to ensure the charge profile was right on the Delta Q. Don’t really even need to change it if it is correct.

I am going to keep swearing and touching the lead for a while, but I may actually take you up on your offer.[/quote]

Under normal circumstances, who would want to wait? But it looks like it may be worth it.
On the other hand, the threat of getting the programmer may cajole your DQ in cooperating. :smiley:

Rodd (Old Houseboater) thanks for taking the time to speak with some crazy guy in Florida tapping wires together in a garage at 10:00 at night.

Tomorrow I am going to go out to NAPA and see what I can get for these GEL batts. Either I got it to display the profile, or it is showing an error code. I am guessing the latter.

Found this interesting PDF though:
http://www.zapworld.com/sites/default/files/manuals/how-to-check-and-change-the-delta-q-quiq-charging.pdf

There are about 80 different algorithms that can be preloaded but only 10 can be loaded into your
charger at a time. Below is a typical list:

1. 1 Trojan T105
  2. 3 T105 DV/DT CP
  3. 4 US battery USB2200
  4. 5 *Trojan 30/31XHS (Use this with Discover or Interstate DCMO100 AGM)
  5. 6 **Deka 8G31 Gel (Use this one if you have Deka batteries)
  6. 7 J305 DV/DT CP
  7. 8 Concorde 10xAh AGM
  8. 27 Crown CR-325
  9. 37 Trojan T105 DV/DT CP-42V pack w/ 48V charger
  10. 43 Discover 200-400Ah AGM

If I am reading this right, I may actually have the wrong charge profile on here (7 J305 DV/DT CP)

Or, as Old Houseboater and I suspect, the Delta Q is just throwing an error.

Two blinks seem right with no battery connected.

Took all 6 batts out last night. Forgot how much of a pain that was.

Brought them to NAPA today. They checked each one for me and showed that all but two were no good. Fortunately I was still under my pro rated warranty…and could save a whopping $20 per battery.

Long story short, ordered 4 new batteries, and I plan on ordering a quick charge 72v charger to replace the Delta q.

Don’t you think the DQ was just seeing low voltage?
Keep me in mind if you scrap it.

I don’t as the pack was actually all charged up. I have been keeping the batteries maintained with an off board charger going from each individual battery to another. So there shouldn’t have been a low voltage issue.

Likely if i get a new charger, I will keep the Delta Q in it’s place as I think it is needed in order to get the battery level to work on the dash.

Just use a different charger for actual…well charging.

Don’t rush. get the new batteries in and if you cant program it, somebody can (if it’s not broke.)

I have a deep hate for DeltaQ’s but the 4 Cars I have on hand all have em. I can usually set them up in 3 or 4 tries

In todays world DQ has the market cornered so we better learn how to live with them.

Quick Charge is my go to choice BUT liking my money in my pocket I would do everthing to make the DQ in my hand Work.

In my area a DQ program change is 50 bucks. Guy comes to your house on his off time.

Rodney

1 Like