'03 handy homemade tote + plastic repair success

This is a box I made to fit the back seat of my '03 E4. It locks into the otherwise useless “grab bars” on the rear seats with plywood disks that attach with 1/4-20 knobs into T-nuts. Goes in and out fast, and carries a large load. Holes for rope or bungees. Paint is brush on Rustoleum oil based. Advertised for metal, but this box has been in the weather for 4 years!
Luggage tote1

Luggage tote2
Also wanted to add a success story on restoring damaged plastic fenders. Scraped off mostly detached previous fiberglass repair. Super cleaned surfaces, used ABS cement to reconnect cracked components, then embed and coat fiberglass mesh with ABS cement on underside. ABS welding rod with a large solder iron to fill cracks and gaps on the top surface. Sand, prime and automotive paint and clearcoat. Happy camper.
Bluestreak

1 Like

Nice job! Would like to hear more about the plastic repair. Pictures

I bragged too soon! Testing the batteries, so took the cart out today and ran it hard (41mph, feels like 80!) on some pretty rough roads. After your post I went and took a look and there are some cracks reappearing. The wheel wells are so heavy it’s hard to keep them from flexing. I’m going to work on a superstructure to make the whole rear panel more rigid. My goal will be to preserve the new paint job! I’ll take pictures this time and share, as I’m pretty sure my cart isn’t the only one with this condition.
If I had it to do over, I would sand down to the ABS on the top side and fiberglass/ABS cement both sides, and add some bent aluminum on the underside.

I have had great success with J B WELD PLASTIC BONDER .Youtube on how to use

on my '02 the rear fender panels were cracked so I made clips like you’d use on old rain gutters to hold stuff on cars(when they had gutters) and then I put a strap between the two finders. Tighten it up a bit to put some tension pulling the fenders inward and the cracks have not been moving.

An aluminum bar across the top of the fenders could also work. Or maybe even a 1/2" pvc pipe…