You should be careful posting misinformation

Bought the batteries from Allan and then followed his directions.

Seems an obvious enough root cause.

Allan,

I sent you two emails when they failed asking for your help and you didnā€™t respond.
Only when I posted on a public forum do you respond. To and I exchanged several emails and had things labeled so not sure how i could have connected something wrong.

Jonathan

My guess guys is the bms that is provided is faulty.
Iā€™m only posting my results on this product here.

Yet it keeps happening over and over and over.

The problem is much bigger and more severe than the BMS.

The more I read I also wonder if itā€™s about the joining of the 48v and 24v to make a 72v pack along with the bms used. Perhaps itā€™s not keeping things balanced?

I respond to every email and ph# call with a answering service as a backup. Arnt you the guy that couldnā€™t figure out how to use paypal or your computer? You couldnā€™t even figure how to send a email.
You couldnā€™t check battery voltage because your volt meter wasnā€™t calibrated. I have pages of your stupidity and wild comments showing a extreme lack of knowledge. Maybe I should post all of it to
show others where the real problem is.

Allen,

Iā€™m not here to play games. Just reporting on my experience.
The bms you provided plugs right in on top and the black goes to black and red to red on the battery case
The terminals to the bms were pre connected and the neg side of the bms said optional for the charger. Explain how it if I hooked it up wrong it worked for a while then later the batteries swelled?

All I donā€™t know what the problem could have been, but here is how it was all hooked up, and I know I asked Allan a ton of questions so it was NOT user error.
Here are pictures from the original install.

connections2

Are there no pressure plates on the ends/sides of that battery pack?
From my understanding of lithium cells is you do not want them to be allowed to expand as they charge and discharge because they will expand enough to delaminate and damage themselves.

Iā€™ve seen the battery packs put into full size cars, forklifts and trucks contain these expansion restriction plates and Iā€™ve seen packs made by people here have these expansion restricting plates. AND Iā€™ve seen it mentioned not to charge cells without such expansion restriction on the cells. The little plastic walls of a module holding the lithium bags is NOT an expansion restriction plate.

Iā€™m no expert,
Aside from the other issue of it being a 66v pack,

But that BMS looks like it is hooked up backwards/bypassed/not doing anything at all. Is it there just to top balance? Would it even do that hooked up like this?

Blue wire normally goes to B-, and load/charger should be on black.

1 Like

kind of why I wanted to post here to get other peoples options , the neg lead to the bms was hooked up and the small leads look to go to the cells, but the other leads on the bms are labled optional and I was told to just hook the charger and the loads direct to the battery terminals. So maybe just top balance ? not sure.
Also since it swelled up , I guessing it didnā€™t work right , and itā€™s now 1500 down the drain so looking for a proper replacement.

Donā€™t give up. Measure each cell. All that are over 2.8v are probably ok. With luck your bad cells are on one end and can be bypassed. Or confined to the 12s or 6s module.
If you can save 16s add a 6s to the good ones. A 22s battery makes a good 72v replacement battery. ~81v nominal.
I would never trust it or charge it indoors. From what you tell me, the battery has been over charged since you got it. Add a real bms to it, and I would use it myself. Or recommend it to members as a low cost Gem battery.

@jonathan_pitts It is not you that caused the problem. The setup dumbass sells for Gemā€™s wont work. Be glad your Gem didnā€™t burn down like others. There are many complaints about his batteries not working and, to the best of my knowledge, No one has a successful Gem install. This thread has saved people from making the same mistake. I have multiple people who have contacted me about buying his batteries and I was able to educate them. It is always sad to hear from someone after they have bought from him.

The batteries he sells havenā€™t been made in years yet he advertises them as new. I think is a Crook and a fraud and many others would agree.

1 Like

Good questions to ask.
What is the manufacturer date of the new batteries.

1 Like