Would a US$40,000 EV be in your price range?

Elon Musk, the CEO of Tesla, recently confirmed that his company plans to release an affordable EV within the next 4 years, priced at around US$40,000.

Is this in your price range? Would this an EV purchase more likely for you in the future?

If it were worthwhile, yes.

Elon Musk is a man who makes things happen and I doubt he would announce this if he wasn’t certain he could deliver?

I don’t doubt that he will deliver, I just am interested to see what he brings to the current Prius, volt, leaf territory.

There are a few companies now looking to break into the mass market - once we sales flowing in the mass market this will bring down unit costs, reduce manufacturing costs and potentially take the industry to another level. Economies of scale is not a luxury the industry has had so far but hopefully in the future this will emerge.

the sticker price of my new Toyota Rav4EV was $50,000 they gave me $8000 off sticker so i paid $42,000 for it. I think it was well worth the price.

my gas savings basically pays for the car.

[quote=Rav4evforme;15920]the sticker price of my new Toyota Rav4EV was $50,000 they gave me $8000 off sticker so i paid $42,000 for it. I think it was well worth the price.

my gas savings basically pays for the car.[/quote]

Agreed. The more and more I think about it, and it would be silly to not get an electric car for that price range especially if it has a 200+ mile range…

[quote=Editor;15872]Elon Musk, the CEO of Tesla, recently confirmed that his company plans to release an affordable EV within the next 4 years, priced at around US$40,000.

Is this in your price range? Would this an EV purchase more likely for you in the future?[/quote]

Most people associate the word “affordable” with “economy”, which may pose a problem for Elon. An “economy” car usually has an MSRP of $12,000 to about $16,000 USD. At $40,000 you are well into the luxury car price range, right along with Cadillac, Lexus, and M-Benz.

Granted the Focus EV and Rav4-ev are also in that price range, but that still poses a problem for most new car buyers… Why buy an economy, electric car, when for the same price, I can get a Cadillac CTS convertible? (which still can get over 35 MPG if you go easy on it)

I would be much happier if Elon came out with a $20,000 EV that had a very limited range. I would buy it as my “second car”, but probably use it daily, since I rarely go more than 20 miles from the house. For that once-a-month trip when I have to go outside of a 20-mile radius, I’ll use the gas car.

At $40,000, I could not afford a second car… even though I would still need one.

40k is too high for me. I spend 120 a month is gas on my most used car. The extra cost if I was buying a new car would never pay off.

I see that experts are predicting a fall of 30% in second hand electric cars - perhaps this might tempt more people to look at EVs?