Weekend of issues

Hello,

I had a few issues come up this weekend that have been really bothering me:

1: Replaced all the lights with LED (tails and front turns) Now when I try to turn on the turn signal the flasher relay does not function correctly. The lights just stay on constant.

1. Can the gems get their front wheels aligned (traditionally) or is there some drilling involved?

Leds probably don’t have enough draw to activate the flasher. Might have to go electronic. or put your tail light bulbs back in

GEMs usuall get by very well with a good toe alignment. What is your specific problem?

Too much toe out causes negative camber (wheels out at bottom)too much toe in causes positive camber (wheels out at top)
If toe isn’t set correctly the cart can get very unstable/darty.

In rare cases you might have to use washers to shim between the backing plate and the knuckle to adjust camber

my guess is the led’s don’t draw enough current to make it flash. I just changed the rears to led and it still worked . you can probably find a replacement flasher module that is led compatible .

Here is the story of my weekend adventures.
I purchased a set of Progressive 416’s spent all of Saturday installing them and while I was at it I also replaced the completely broken rear frame.

I installed the rear shocks and the system SEEMS to be functioning properly, proceeded to install the fronts and determined that I needed to move the shock off to the side (pictures attached) in order to make space for the air canister. :mad:
Completed the installation with all the air lines and checked for leaks, everything seemed to be functioning correctly. However when I lowered the car, the system collapsed in the front that I found to be very strange. I proceeded to fiddle with the system only to determine I may have a defective set of front air shocks.:mad::mad::mad:

I am looking into the alignment because when I replaced the shocks back to factory shocks I still have a bit of a tow on the front wheels.

I just purchased an electronic relay, wondering If I need two or just one?:rain:

GEM’s require about 13 1/4 inches Center to center on shocks to maintain alignment. You have to set the pressure on the front shocks to maintain that value.

I sell a kit to Lift GEMS but you cannot lower pre 2005 GEM’s due to the suspension construction. You cannot lift the front of GEM s with air shocks because the axles will pull out of the gearbox.

Adjust your pressure to give 13 and 1/4 inches center to center with no passengers.

Why are you doing this?

Rodney

[quote=OLD HOUSEBOATER;27725]GEM’s require about 13 1/4 inches Center to center on shocks to maintain alignment. You have to set the pressure on the front shocks to maintain that value.

I sell a kit to Lift GEMS but you cannot lower pre 2005 GEM’s due to the suspension construction.[/quote]

I am not interested to lower it. The lowered frame is because of the defective progressive shocks :frowning:

I have it sitting on the factory front shocks and even then the ride has dramatically changed. I like a soft ride this is why I chose to go with air.

Good reason. You may have to up the air pressure on the fronts to increase the 13 1/4 to 13 1/2 when unloaded due to the softer spring rate. this may bring the wheels in at the bottom with no passengers.

You might consider air on the rear only.

Wondering if there is anything negative about having the bolts extend in the way that I made them extend. They are grade “8” bolts…

OH side question, I heard you have all the correct codes to program my controller for a 7.5 RFF. I got some codes from GWest and punched them in, don’t get me wrong this thing FLIES I can get 40mph with 2 people and about 35 with 4… Just want to make sure I have everything set up correctly.

ALSO I have a 2 seater that will either be restored or sold for parts… its all there just missing the battery cores. It is running… Anyone need anything?

Grant sets his up about the same as mine so you should be ok. If your on flat ground you probably wont get a 41 (overheat)error. Mine will do 42 with me aboard so were all in the same ball park. I have mine limited to 35. Fast enough for our area and helps range. Now that i’m over the adrenalin rush I seem to cruise about 31 or 32 MPH.

OH, I just want to verify the codes, If you could maybe PM me them?

Also where is the factory turn relay? I received my electronic relay and I am wondering where I would install it…

What size tires and what ratio gearbox

I have the factory 10" wheels for now… and the 10:35:1

I want to keep the 40ish top out.

1. if you want to go 40 you HAVE !!! to get bigger wheels and tires. 40 MPH with 10 incher’s is over 7700 RPM. Even an RFF won’t live there.

I know that I need bigger wheels, however I have not had a chance to find the perfect 15 inchers. Waiting for the paint to be done.

ok I got the message. Thanks!
Also, any idea on the relay?

You have a PM

Suggest you stick to combo with an overall diameter 23 inches or less.

Looking for help with some Led tail lights. Just as a note.
LED headlights
LED tail lights
LED turn signals
Electronic flasher relay for the turn signals.

Here is the issue that I have, when I have the LED headlights off the tail lights function for turning and for braking. When I turn the headlights on, the tail lights stop functioning entirely. I need to know what or where the relay is that needs to be replaced for an electronic one in order for them to work.

Thanks!

Hello everyone,

I came across another issue. While I was driving on a straight flat open road, at about 37mph the transmission and engine began to have a high pitched pulsating whine. Any ideas?

[quote=cutom825;28056]Hello everyone,

I came across another issue. While I was driving on a straight flat open road, at about [B][I][U]37mph[/U][/I][/B] the transmission and engine began to have a high pitched pulsating whine. Any ideas?[/quote]

SLOW DOWN… Your St Christopher medal jumped off the mirror. Truthfully… I believe your motor is over speeding its rpm limit and about to follow the St Christopher medal… :confused:

Your Motor/Gear Box has bearing and or gear problems. You cant run that fast with 10 inch wheels and tires.

[quote=cutom825;28056]Hello everyone,

I came across another issue. While I was driving on a straight flat open road, at about 37mph the transmission and engine began to have a high pitched pulsating whine. Any ideas?[/quote]