Using Dryer plug to charge EV

I want to buy a Clipper Creek LCS25p L6-30

My dryer plug is a NEMA 10-30

I found a 10-30 to L6-30 Adapter for sale.

Was planning on using this until I heard from a Clipper Creek rep that:

" It would not be advisable from a safety stand point to utilize the 10-30 receptacle with an adapter for the LCS-25P. The reason being is that the NEMA 10-30 receptacle uses a Neutral wire as opposed to an earth ground, the LCS-25P requires an earth ground connection in order to operate correctly, additionally when charging a vehicle the ground is passed through to the vehicle from the station, if a neutral is used instead of a ground the neutral can actually carry power to the vehicle which could result in a hazard when touching the vehicle during or after charging."

Was wondering how valid this is and what is the likelihood of risk I would face if I do use the adapter?

just a thought… but if you turn off the breaker to your outlet and remove the cover, you should be able to tell how many wires there are. If the right number of wires are there (presumably 3, for hot, neutral, and ground) then you should be able to just replace the receptacle without doing any significant wiring work. the receptacle can’t cost more than $40.

if there are only two wires in your receptacle, that would be a problem, but I doubt that’s likely.

[quote=boorobo;21833]I want to buy a Clipper Creek LCS25p L6-30

My dryer plug is a NEMA 10-30

I found a 10-30 to L6-30 Adapter for sale.

Was planning on using this until I heard from a Clipper Creek rep that:

" It would not be advisable from a safety stand point to utilize the 10-30 receptacle with an adapter for the LCS-25P. The reason being is that the NEMA 10-30 receptacle uses a Neutral wire as opposed to an earth ground, the LCS-25P requires an earth ground connection in order to operate correctly, additionally when charging a vehicle the ground is passed through to the vehicle from the station, if a neutral is used instead of a ground the neutral can actually carry power to the vehicle which could result in a hazard when touching the vehicle during or after charging."

Was wondering how valid this is and what is the likelihood of risk I would face if I do use the adapter?[/quote]