US: Chrysler works on EVs

15 July 2008 | Source: just-auto.com editorial team

Chrysler plans to start selling electric vehicles in the next three to five years.

A spokesman told Reuters that the automaker’s new Envi unit, created last September, is developing vehicles that are intended to run on battery power alone for about 40 miles (64 km).

“The group is looking to have a product available in the marketplace in the next three to five years,” the spokesman said.

The report said Chrysler is working on a new generation of hybrid vehicles with lithium-ion batteries that are lighter and store more energy than the nickel-metal hydride batteries now in wide use but has yet to detail any partnership for the project or for the development and sourcing of the batteries.

Reuters noted that Chrysler showed three ‘green’ concept cars at the last Detroit motor show with electric motors that would be powered by lithium-ion batteries.

“Chrysler will produce technology similar to one of them or a combination of the three,” the spokesman told the news agency.

Wow 40 miles of range thats so impressive. I don’t understand how the big 3 are getting spanked on innovation by guys building their own cars from their garages.

[QUOTE=brad;3976]Wow 40 miles of range thats so impressive. I don’t understand how the big 3 are getting spanked on innovation by guys building their own cars from their garages.[/QUOTE]

Because their paid too.

[QUOTE=lazzer408;3983]Because their paid too.[/QUOTE]

if you are geting paid to design you have so many rules to adhere to .
ie crash test.
cost.
where will we get that thing ga ma jig from for $3 not $30
will the production labour be able to click it in place

in my own proto type production EV we tried to get a manufactured king pin assembly and it cost a fortune :mad:

but when we asked a forging company about an axel they were able to forge an axel --and-- the flange all in one for a very low price.

so they are caught in a web of costs that the amature does not have.
ie an amature can spen 4 hours building a battery box but the manufacturer has to get this time to 3 minutes.

so the amature will always have ab advantage over the mass production car