Top Reasons why the Chevy Volt is the best electric in the market

[QUOTE=Jljeeper;14753]Aaron
You are confused. What you are refering to is when the battery is depleted and you are running off ICE only - The engine has the ability to direct connect to the drive train. This is done for efficiency purposes not power.[/QUOTE]

The confusion is that I’m using the term “power” to denote the amount of juice in the battery, not the HP or torque being produced by the drivetrain.

[QUOTE=AaronTurpen;14742]Ignoring your comparison of a Volt to a damn Jeep for MPG, I just want to address the Arab Oil mythology.

.[/QUOTE]

The Jeep comparison was how I justified my purchase - I said I knew I could have bought any of the half a dozen 30+mpg cars. The problem is they all require trips to the gas station. I won’t have a pure EV because it is not practical. The US produces 38% of its oil and the other 62% is foreign oil.

Wow - Volt bashing is everywhere

What is the real reason people hate the Volt?

[QUOTE=AaronTurpen;14754]The confusion is that I’m using the term “power” to denote the amount of juice in the battery, not the HP or torque being produced by the drivetrain.[/QUOTE]

So what is your point? Where is the draw back?

It will climb any mountain in the US and at speed. It will travel farther than any BEV. It will deliver more combined mpg’s (for 90%) of drivers than any other car on the planet. There really is no argument against the Volt. Could it be better with a better engine or bigger battery? I suppose it could. But as it is now it is simply amazing. I test drove a brand new Prius and when that engine came on and I kept pressing on the pedal to go up the littlest hill, I said No thanks. The Volt has way more power and is fun to drive. All you guys trying to point out flaws are just incredible.

Main fault? Sounds like it could be improved but “a fault”?

The Volt is an EV if you empty the gas tank

not sure what you meant but here is my thought to the purests

How about if you just dont use the gas?
How about if the gas is your emergency backup?
How about if you could drive EV 90% of the time and only 10% on gas?
Does it have to be all or nothing?

AartonTurpen:“Engineering is another concern. The car was not really made to go to production. I routinely have loaners on a lift for inspection and do the usual “open the hood, dig around” thing with all of them. For the Volt, I also have an engineer friend who is very pro-EV who bought one specifically to tear it down bolt-by-bolt. He was appalled at the way the Volt (2012 model for him) was constructed and amazed that they aren’t failing at a higher rate than they are.”

Now this is bizarre. How can you tell by poking around that they should be failing at a higher rate? As chinsey as you make it sound it feels pretty solid. A recent head on collision with a Honda accord proved how stout the car is when all 3 of the occupants of the Accord were fatalities and the Volt driver walked away. http://http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/lo…200784711.html
Any specifics you can mention?[/QUOTE]

the reason I bash the vault is UNLIKE other car makers GM KNOWS they can make a “REAL” EV because they already HAVE made a real EV and they took intentional malicious steps to not only not make one but to insure no one else could either.

that is why. if GM made the VOLT 15 years ago it could have been hailed as a good starting point.

but the volt is like ME showing you a nice gorgeous Jet Airplane and then 10 years later after you discontinued the jet airplane you release a Wood and Fabric propeller airplane and slap a tiny jet engine on the site to assist the propeller in going at a fraction of the efficiency. on purpose.

The volt “IS NOT AN EV” it has a gasoline engine it is NOT an Electric Vehicle. it is a Gasoline Electric Vehicle. a “hybrid”

if it has anything but electric power its not an EV. period. at least that is the position I will stand on.

by that logic a PRIUS is an EV sure it can only go 3 miles on EV alone but IT CAN DO IT so that’s an EV right?

yeah I did the math on a prius. it would have to run with no major repairs for 38 years to “break even” over just keeping my 28mpg minivan. 68 years to break even over my 60mpg metro (yes my YEARLY average is 60mpg 65 summer 55 winter).

it would be like me SHOWING you these nice NIMH or LITHIUM rechargeable batteries and then going NOPE all you get is this crappy zinc air battery with a little lithium cell inside to help with load spikes.

you need 3 things for a VIABLE Electric Car battery.

Cheap Price
Long Life
Enough Range

the E95 battery is the ONLY battery that meets all 3. granted barely #3 but it DID have enough range.

It was $4500 full retail price as quoted by GM and Ovonics 12 or so years ago.

so it sure as heck meets the “Cheap Price” requirement.

the battery was rated to 250,000 miles and TESTED in excess of 300,000 miles. this means the average person will keep the same battery for 20-25 YEARS before it MIGHT need to be replaced (yes they really are that good)

lastly ENOUGH RANGE. the only “real world” example we have is the Rav4EV the EV1 was not a real world example its a highly optimized 2 seater and just not practical for a lot of people.

ANYONE can use the Rav4EV. its users average 80 to 110 miles to a charge.

My commute is 54 miles one way probably in the top 1% of the top 1% The VAST majority of people drive no more than 34 miles a day.

this means the E95 has 3 times the range we “need” for the vast majority of our daily driving needs which means even in cold or with AC or heat and lights on it would still have “ENOUGH” range to meet our typical daily needs.

SO why did GM not make the volt with twice the battery and ditch the stinking engine? 70 miles would be ENOUGH for most people.

so why did GM crush the ev1 program and make CERTAIN no one else could use the E95 batteries? easy. 54% of their profit came from AFTER they sell you the car. in the long run the vast majority of that goes POOF with electric cars and they know it.

this is why they push so hard for HYDROGEN fuel cells (what ilk!! makes me SICK!) so we are going to trade one slave master (oil companies and speculators) for another (hydrogen producers)

what? you thought they would ALLOW you to make your own hydrogen? yeah. how funny. dream on.

people say “but its a hassle” to have such limited range.

I SAY its a hassle to have to pay out $6000 a year in freaking gasoline. I can live with a little “planning and charge” to save $6000 a year !! heck yeah!

plus with a proper viable EV most people could afford to have 2 cars since the EV would be essentially FREE since your monthly payment on a $13,500 EV would be LESS THAN your currently spending in GASOLINE every month. a net cost of ZERO.

yeah. I can afford that for sure. but not at $28,800 with a 2.5 year warranty on a $10,0000 battery. I can’t afford that.

[QUOTE=Jljeeper;14755]The Jeep comparison was how I justified my purchase - I said I knew I could have bought any of the half a dozen 30+mpg cars. The problem is they all require trips to the gas station. I won’t have a pure EV because it is not practical. The US produces 38% of its oil and the other 62% is foreign oil.[/QUOTE]

Imported oil comes primarily from Canada, Mexico, Venezuela, Nigeria and Saudi Arabia. The only other Middle EAstern country of note that we import from is Iraq at a whopping 5.2% of the total imports. These are by EIA numbers as of 2010 and do not include products made with oil that are imported, which is another huge number, mostly from Asia.

[QUOTE=Jljeeper;14755]Wow - Volt bashing is everywhere

What is the real reason people hate the Volt?[/QUOTE]

I don’t think I was Volt bashing, I was pointing out its weaknesses. Every car has them, but the Volt, being made for a very specific market, has more than most - the narrower the market, the less likely the product is to appeal to people outside of that market and thus the more flaws it will appear to have.

A lot of people have other problems with the Volt - mostly centered on the bailouts. Politically, I’m on their side as I believe the automakers would have been fine or washed themselves out naturally had they been left to their own devices, but while the Volt was caught up in that, it’s not really to blame.

[QUOTE=Jljeeper;14756]So what is your point? Where is the draw back?

It will climb any mountain in the US and at speed. It will travel farther than any BEV. It will deliver more combined mpg’s (for 90%) of drivers than any other car on the planet. There really is no argument against the Volt. Could it be better with a better engine or bigger battery? I suppose it could. But as it is now it is simply amazing. I test drove a brand new Prius and when that engine came on and I kept pressing on the pedal to go up the littlest hill, I said No thanks. The Volt has way more power and is fun to drive. All you guys trying to point out flaws are just incredible.[/QUOTE]

I’ve already told you why I don’t personally like the Volt and why it’s only a fit for a narrow market. If you refuse to read all that, then I guess that helps you justify buying one. I didn’t say it was underpowered. I didn’t even allude to that. You’re creating straw men to argue with.

[QUOTE=Jljeeper;14757]Now this is bizarre. How can you tell by poking around that they should be failing at a higher rate? As chinsey as you make it sound it feels pretty solid. A recent head on collision with a Honda accord proved how stout the car is when all 3 of the occupants of the Accord were fatalities and the Volt driver walked away. http://http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/lo…200784711.html[/QUOTE]

Broken link. I suspect that the passengers in the Honda died for reasons other than the car being unsafe compared to a Volt.

Aaron
We can agree on the oil, My statement you responded to was that grid power is 100% US energy and it is.

We can disagree on the flaws since I drive the car daily and your statement about engine coming on and lack of power was not entirely accurate in your description. I have driven over 2100 miles and used near 2 gallons of gas. I drive a minimum of 36 miles per day. I get home at 4pm and my Volt is fully charged by 7pm (the car will text me when it is finished charging)

Only fits a narrow market,
This is my opinion from my readings titled “VOLT Charging into the future”- The idea was to design the battery size as not to big and not too small.(keep costs down) Something that would fit 80% of commutes in EV only mode. A car that would be a stepping stone to get rid of range anxiety and other would be skeptics. The fact is most people are not ready to commit to a BEV. If it wasn’t for the VOLT I would never even consider it. The Volt is like a Boy scout knife. It works everywhere, multi-fuel, it can play EV with a real usable range (albeit not for your commute). Or if something comes up you are not tied down to your battery range. My EV use on Volt stats.net are 97.1% EV. To me this is the best of both worlds. Yes it would be nice if it had more battery range. We all know if the Volt takes off more battery capacity will follow.

[QUOTE=Jljeeper;14762]We can disagree on the flaws since I drive the car daily and your statement about engine coming on and lack of power was not entirely accurate in your description. I have driven over 2100 miles and used near 2 gallons of gas. I drive a minimum of 36 miles per day. I get home at 4pm and my Volt is fully charged by 7pm (the car will text me when it is finished charging)[/QUOTE]

When I had the Volt, with fully-charged batteries, when I got on the freeway and up to speed, within a few minutes it would kick on the engine. Every time. This was in the summer time, weather was warm (Wyoming warm, not Arizona warm) and there are no large hills or mountains between myself and Cheyenne and only about 200 feet of elevation difference. Volt owners I’ve talked to in Colorado have told me the same thing: the engine kicks on after a few minutes of 75mph+ highway driving.

[QUOTE=Jljeeper;14762]Only fits a narrow market, [/QUOTE]
The Volt fits a narrow market not because it’s electric, but because of the type of car it is. It seats only four, has little cargo space, costs a lot of money, and frankly doesn’t have the fittings or drive style to match entry-level luxury sedans. It is mis-marketed as a mid-sized sedan despite not being so and it has an unproven track record for reliability.

I know better than to get in a contest with your passion. but oh well
So lets bash the Volt because GM didn’t go far enough this time? That will get them going in the right direction. If you want egg on their face prove they were wrong to kill the EV and support their efforts and ask for more. Do we want them to fail? Seems like a childish reason to not like the car.

that is why. if GM made the VOLT 15 years ago it could have been hailed as a good starting point…

So it would be ok if it came out 15 years ago? Except they couldn’t have built the Volt 15 years ago as it is today. EV1 was not practical at all. Fun maybe and for a very few it would work.

The volt “IS NOT AN EV” it has a gasoline engine it is NOT an Electric Vehicle. it is a Gasoline Electric Vehicle. a “hybrid”

So the fact that I drive 1000 miles/mo 97% EV means nothing? Is it only ok if its 100% EV or may as well go all 100% gasoline? If you don’t like cars that burn gas you should applaud the Volt because it can run as an EV everyday for most people. And for lots of others it burns very little gas.

if it has anything but electric power its not an EV. period. at least that is the position I will stand on.

That means nothing to me. Who cares? Just like I’m not really getting 800mpg, its just that in 1600 miles I only used 2 gallons, it pencils out the same. If you ask me its better than an EV, it won’t leave you stranded. If your daughter is stuck miles away and you need to help - get in the Volt and go without question. Living in this non realistic world of Pure EV or nothing is a pipe dream - more power too ya. I don’t want a ball and chain BEV. The Volt is freedom. Even if you don’t use the gas engine for months at a time it is there when you need it. You easily can plan your trips and charge when ever you have the opportunity. If for some reason you cant find a charging station you are not doomed. The infrastructure is not ready for BEV and the Volt is the PERFECT solution.

by that logic a PRIUS is an EV sure it can only go 3 miles on EV alone but IT CAN DO IT so that’s an EV right?

I’ll take that as a sarcastic joke. right? how many people can use that in their commute? zero if you need the answer.

yeah I did the math on a prius. it would have to run with no major repairs for 38 years to “break even” over just keeping my 28mpg minivan. 68 years to break even over my 60mpg metro (yes my YEARLY average is 60mpg 65 summer 55 winter).

What kind of “breakeven” math is that based on? Break even on what? If you want the car to completely pay for itself than it will be awhile - please factor in future gas prices 68 years from now.

Break even over a straight ICE car yes.
Chevy Cruz $20.000 vs Volt $31.000 (after rebates)
I would say 14 years I would break even.
12,000 miles a year. 3.80/gallon.
40mpg Cruz vs 40 mile EV Volt.

Cruz costs $1140 in fuel (1 year)
Volt costs $360 in Power (1 years) ($780 saved)

$11,000 price difference
$780yr divided by $11,000 = 14 years (that’s if gas doesn’t go up)

metro - well there is a fun safe ride. Really you want to compare a 3 piston metro death trap to a Volt?

it would be like me SHOWING you these nice NIMH or LITHIUM rechargeable batteries and then going NOPE all you get is this crappy zinc air battery with a little lithium cell inside to help with load spikes.

Not sure what you are saying - The Volt has the best battery available today that fits this application. A liquid cooled Li battery. By the way did you know the Volt only uses 50% of the available battery? It only charges to 80% and discharges to 30%. The battery is being very pampered for the best longevity. In some states 10-year/150,000-mile warranty on the battery pack and other mechanicals.

you need 3 things for a VIABLE Electric Car battery.

[QUOTE] Cheap Price
Long Life
Enough Range

You could build your own

My commute is 54 miles one way probably in the top 1% of the top 1% The VAST majority of people drive no more than 34 miles a day.

If you had a Volt and charged at work you would use less than a gallon of gas a day and average over 100mpg. Tell me who competes with that? No one.
If what you say id true that cheap long lasting batteries do exist - lots of start up companies would be all over it.

yeah. I can afford that for sure. but not at $28,800 with a 2.5 year warranty on a $10,0000 battery. I can’t afford that.

2.5 year warranty? wrong again it 10y 100k and really hoping an affordable battery upgrade will be available in 10 years - that is if the Volt doesn’t get bashed into failure. This time GM is not killing the Electric car - The People are. I guess GM was right to kill it the first time.

nerys

sounds like your pissed about the bailout and now want GM to fail.

Not sure how you get TRC 98K or the 2.5 year warranty?
I paid $34K loaded, and Electricity costs are <3 cents per mile.
Battery warranty is 10y

Sounds like your really hung up on its classification - Not an EV
GM likes to call it an EREV, I’m sure that bothers you to.

It bothers you that this forum supports the Volt at all.

I guess GM really slapped you in the face pretty hard, sorry bout that
I love my Volt.

Not sure I have met anyone so upset about a car.
Like I said you would do well at over 100 mpg in your long commute. Why don’t you look at the bright side? Less than a gallon of gas a day if you get your employers support or find a charging station while you work. In the summer people are getting 50+ miles on a charge. Go to Voltstats.net to see the thousands of Volts across US and Canada and all the data that is tracked real time via onstar. Real World stats by real people in everyday life. Lots of multi hundreds of mpg Volts. (But its not Pure EV) its a big step in the right direction. People can learn what it is to be EV with a Volt without worry. Doubt I will get through to you but I gave it my best shot right from my very own driver seat. Believe me I have been fighting this battle with my circle of friends, I’m a republican (don’t kill me). For some reason the Right hates the Volt too. The fact is GM is doing a horrible job marketing the Volt. BTW I was asked by the moderator to speak about my Volt, for the curious I suppose. Didn’t realize I would have to defend it against such distain. Good thing for me it is easy to defend something so brilliant.

[QUOTE=nerys;14741]I am surprised this forum would support the VOLT I would not take a volt if it were free. ok that is a lie I would take it sell it and buy something better.

There is only one true cost of a vehicle and that is the TRC Total Real Cost. average lifespan a vehicle is kept today is 9.9 years so I calculate a 10 year TRC for any vehicle I might consider.

the Volt is THE MOST EXPENSIVE vehicle out of all the vehicles I calculated.

#1 its not an EV its a hybrid.
#1 its made by GM which automatically removes it from being an option since I would rather DIE than give GM a dime of my money (thank you US government for putting a gun to my head and forcing me to bail them out thank you so much for that!) since GM actually “DID” have a viable EV solution over 10years ago and they killed it. on purpose. and gave is this garbage that is the volt as a big FU to the american people.

the volt is a slap in the face to any true EV owner or EV dreamer (like me dreaming of having an EV)

under my circumstances (40,000 miles a year or more 54mile one way commute I can charge at work then 54 miles home)

the 10 year TRC on a chevy volt is $98,500

let me type that one more time so we are clear on this.

NINETY EIGHT THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS

even the garbage that is the Toyota Prius does not come close to being that much money!! and this IGNORES the power to charge the volt since I would offset that with solar buyback !!

on the other hand the Nissan Leaf or the MiEV has a 10 year TRC of around $43,200 (either one) (NO tax credits are factored into this price since I would not qualify for them I don’t earn enough money)

The VOLT on the other hand (here is the break down for you) would cost me 22,000 miles of gasoline powered driving every year (the other 18,000 would be covered by the battery ASSUMING I average 35 miles per charge (yeah right))

over 10 years assuming gas stays under $4 a gallon that is $29,333 in fuel which I round to $30,000 to keep the numbers simple plus its purchase price with interest etc… of $58,500 for a total 10 year TRC of $98,500

and this assumes it NEVER breaks down since the warranty will only last me 2.5 years. (same for the leaf or MiEV as well) yet the volt will be more expensive to maintain its complicated annoying hybrid system which after all is WHY they like hybrids.

if you factor in the tax credits the prices remain the same since I will need a replacement battery inside that 10 years at the mileages I drive.

the volt is one of the worst possible choices you can make unless money is no object and you want a fancy hybrid “just because”

if your objective is to save money its your worst possible choice.

even something like a hyundai elantra only has a 10 year TRC of $59,000 and it has no electric drive.

oddly enough the LEAF and or the MiEV are the cheapest cars money can buy when you calculate a 10 year TRC for them at 40,000 miles a year even cheaper than a bare-bones 32mpg $9500 nissan.

its even cheaper than a GEO METRO (TRC $45,769 at 52mpg) if you could buy one brand new for $10,000.

and remember that $43,200 TRC includes a $10,000 battery replacement.

The volt is quite literally a SLAP IN THE FACE to any reasonable american. its a big F U to the USA yours with love from GM.

Hybrids that get less than 100mpg maybe 90mpg for more than $15,000 are a waste of money. its a non solution.

what we need is to FORCE our government to FORCE the automakers to mass produce the E95 NIMH battery that was used in the EV1 and the Rav4EV

they can build a mid size economy sedan 4 door car that will get 80-110 miles to a charge no problem (that IS what the Rav4EV gets) on a $4500 E95 NIMH battery that will last the average consumer 20-25 YEARS before it even thinks about wearing out. (this is all public data look it up) for about $13,500 full retail no rebates or tax credits. FULL MSRP.

they simply REFUSE to because they lose too much “cream profits” with such a vehicle since they would essentially be every lasting (relative to today’s cars)

Now your TRC will be different than mine since a sizable chunk of it is “FUEL” for the gasoline powered cars like the volt. though it will be the same for the actual EV’s

if you must go gas wait till next summer. Elio Motors 84mpg $6800 full retail price. bonus since its 3 wheels you can buy motorcycle insurance for it in most states saving you a bundle each year.

I have ZERO concerns over range. an E95 nimh based EV has enough range to cover the daily needs of over 90% of the population. Period. for the rest of your driving DRIVE THE GAS CAR YOU ALREADY HAVE.

once we have a critical mass of EV drivers and demand starts to really crank up THE R&D will come and I believe it will come fast. BEFORE you have to think of replacing your first battery pack they will probably have doubled the range for half the price. with hard core R&D I an confident (purely my opinion here) that inside 10 years with our FULL industrial base behind the effort we will have virtually everlasting (probably super caps) batteries for a few grand with a 300-400 mile range.

its just going to take dollars and hours of R&D. right now we do not DO this R&D because we do not WANT TO (or those that DO try lack the resources needed)

ANY EV that costs more than a gasoline counterpart is a poorly designed EV and was intentionally made to cost more. you can throw away 75% of the value in a gasoline car and replace it with CHEAP components that cost half of the parts you threw away and not come up with a cheaper price unless your doing it intentionally.[/QUOTE]

Did you know that during GM’s testing of the EV1 they actually towed a trailer with a gas engine during the cross country testing so that they could put on miles and collect data in a reasonable amount of time? They used the gas engine to drive the car when the battery went dead so they could continue testing. Who wants the battery to be a show stopper? Could this be the origin of the idea behind the Volt?

I just wish that I could really have a debate with true facts of why the Volt is not a great car. Every time I defend the Volt its against misconception, misunderstanding and plain untruths. Its ok with me if you don’t like it, just don’t make up reasons that are not true.

The Volt is NOT an EV. It is a hybrid. Please remember the distinction.

Even if they have a cute little catch phrase…“Gas when you need it”

Miz

[QUOTE=Mizlplix;14768]The Volt is NOT an EV. It is a hybrid. Please remember the distinction.

Miz[/QUOTE]

Again, and your point is?

Who cares what it is?
I drive to work and back on the electric motor. I charge it up at home from the grid power.
How is this any less of a car?
Yeah its a hybrid by definition because it doesn’t have limitations of an EV. It can become something more robust than an EV. Far superior to a straight EV.
It’s not a Hybrid in the way all other Hybrids on the market are. No other hybrids out there can do anything without gas. I can drive my Volt for months on end without gas. So you might say its an EV impersonator. But really. who cares what its called. I may have a Swiss army knife with a pliers and screwdriver, is it really a pliers or a pocket knife or a multi tool? Who cares? it can do the job for both. The Volt is the Swiss army knife of "Hybrids"
To me it can be 100% as good as an EV - without the hassle or Ball and Chain of a BEV. I can call it what I want because it really is two cars in one. Sorry to say it is part EV and part conventional ICE. You can disagree but it really doesn’t matter the results are exactly the same (if I choose).

Miz
After thinking about it, I agree 100% with your statement "The Volt is NOT an EV"
You are so right on the money, It is much more than an "EV"
I’ll definately stop calling it an EV, That would only be giving it half of its credit.

[QUOTE=Jljeeper;14766]Did you know that during GM’s testing of the EV1 they actually towed a trailer with a gas engine during the cross country testing so that they could put on miles and collect data in a reasonable amount of time? They used the gas engine to drive the car when the battery went dead so they could continue testing. [/QUOTE]

Just to clarify, they used the gas engine to provide power for the car, not drive it. Otherwise, they would have jacknifed and wrecked. :wink:

[QUOTE=AaronTurpen;14772]Just to clarify, they used the gas engine to provide power for the car, not drive it. Otherwise, they would have jacknifed and wrecked. ;)[/QUOTE] Correct - thanks for finding the humor within.

[QUOTE=Mizlplix;14768]The Volt is NOT an EV. It is a hybrid. Please remember the distinction.

Miz[/QUOTE]

Miz
Have a look at this Energy.gov website
Top 10 Things You Didn

EV means Electric Vehicle right? Guess who is center stage.

Energy 101: Electric Vehicles | Department of Energy

As of lately I am the sole poster to this thread. I ran across this post on another site and couldn’t help reposting it. This is exactly how I feel. We have BEV’s at work that we can use for misc. travel.

Default Range Anxiety is VERY REAL

I originally bought my Volt in 2011 because of the range extended capability.

Recently I saw a good deal on a used Nissan Leaf, and against the advice of many on this forum, I decided to buy it.

The instant I signed the paperwork, I found out what range anxiety is…

In the days following my purchase, I was overcome with anxiety, worrying about all places that I couldn’t drive the Leaf. After a couple days of testing the limits of the Leaf, I was able to get a pretty good feel for how far I could drive in the real world without plugging in. At this point I realized there were quite a few places I could not go. Even though I have the Volt to use for all those longer trips, I still had the anxiety over the Leaf’s limitations.

The anxiety was so bad it actually affected me physically, causing me to lose sleep and lose my appetite.

The story has a happy ending though… Since I got such a good deal when I bought the Leaf, I was able to sell it for $400 more than I originally paid for it, and was able to walk away…

I guess I’m not ready for a fully electric car, at least not one with only a 75-mile range.

This experience has really helped me to appreciate the range extended capabilities of the Volt. It is worth every penny to eliminate range anxiety.

The biggest difference between the Volt and the Leaf?

• In the Volt, not using gas is more like a game.
  • In the Leaf, it is not a game at all. You make a bad calculation in the Leaf, and you end up stranded…

I tip my hat to the Leaf owners out there. It takes a serious commitment to go fully electric.

Lesson learned…

A Volt may only have 40-50 EV miles but you can use every one of them without sweating bullets. That is well worth the price of admission