Tales of the DMV

Here in nevada you are supposed to get a moving permit to tide you over until you can register.

Go to DMV which says a moving permit is a walk in thing [nearly everthing requires an appointment]. I wait for an hour os so to get a number, wait a hour & a half to get called to the window… The clerck shuffles off to ask a supervisor, “oh met can’t issue you a moving permit until we have inspected”
I drove around town, never a cross look from the police, including a hard stop right in front of 3 motorcycle cops watching a crosswalk, who smiled & waved, taking no notice of the lack of plates
I could probably not plate at all, as both the city & university have various similar cart running around…

Reserve a U haul & truck & trailer for the tuesday the next week.
Make the next possible DMV appointment one month out.
The trick for appointments is keep checking the online scheduler tool.
Over the weekend I went from 1 monoth to 3 weeks to 2 weeks to the day I scheduled the truck/trailer :open_mouth:
The rails on the car hauler are too wide for the GEM, the utility trailer with ramp is too narrow with the doors on.
Thinking I’ll get a jump on the process, I take off the doors off…
As I drive to Uhaul, I realize the mirrors are on the doors. Anticipating an actual inspection at DMV. I swing by my house, lug the doors up the ramp of the parking garage, put them in the truck. I go to DMV, their only concern is the stickers on the roof, confirming DOT approval didn’t even check the VIN on the dash, lights, windshield, nada [cue Larry David music] …
The rest was just the usual dotting of “I” & crossing of “T” fill in every blank
There was minimal rejoicing!

In California, you only need to inspect when you are registering an out of state vehicle. I usually drive it to the DMV without the correct plates. And you are right, the inspectors don’t look for much. You did it properly according to the law, but what a PITA that is to trailer it in. Enjoy your new Tags!!

Nevada also only requires inspection for out of state registered vehicles
For new motorcycles/scooters apparently the dealers can’t be trusted & a VIN confirmation is required

I will certainly enjoy the $59 registration…