Speed Limit can be removed from Curtis Controller

A member asked me to post here to advise those who have vehicles limited to 25mph using a Curtis controller can have the restriction removed and a newer OS installed. PM me for the information. Some of the cars using the Curtis 1238 restricted are the Miles, etc.

If removing a factory imposed speed limit, keep in mind that electric traction motors also have a maximum speed. Exceeding this maximum rpm can cause damage to the motor. Think of this like the “red line” on a gas vehicle.

Also, the brakes on NEVs were only designed for NEV speeds. The GEM brakes aren’t even very good for that.

Daniel

[QUOTE=GEMmechanic;12901]If removing a factory imposed speed limit, keep in mind that electric traction motors also have a maximum speed. Exceeding this maximum rpm can cause damage to the motor. Think of this like the “red line” on a gas vehicle.

Also, the brakes on NEVs were only designed for NEV speeds. The GEM brakes aren’t even very good for that.

Daniel[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your input, but the AC motors used in most of the cars have a red line about 8000rpm i.e. AC-31, AC-50 etc. The MPH maximum is set to comply with existing laws, so it is incumbent that the owner not exceed, but each to his own.

For some reason it is not letting me PM you… can you send me instructions?? either here or

chuck_b24@yahoo dot com

also how do I find out what controller I have

2002 gem 2 seater

runs 22-24 MPH

THANKS chuck

[QUOTE=evnut;12897]A member asked me to post here to advise those who have vehicles limited to 25mph using a Curtis controller can have the restriction removed and a newer OS installed. PM me for the information. Some of the cars using the Curtis 1238 restricted are the Miles, etc.[/QUOTE]

Your 2002 GEM should have a GE motor controller. This is a large rectangular aluminum box that is under the dash. The controller will have large wires going to it. The GE controllers have been very reliable in our four vehicles. Curtis controllers are a black aluminum box of about the same size. The very first GEMs used Curtis. On the GE controller, programming is accomplished by way of a serial interface cable and programming software. There are also several companies that will program your controller for you.

Daniel

Hi. I have a 2008 Zenn with ac motor and Curtis 1236 controller. I am trying to increase its max speed. I have purchased a Curtis 1313 handset but every time I change the parameters they automatically go back to the defaults. Any suggestions? Thank you very much for any assistance you can offer

Craig

The person that does the reprogramming of Curtis controller can be contacted at 925.292.8565

Hello,

I need to increase the motor speed of my EV Cart (Twike) but unfortunately the programmer doesn’t allow me to change the speed limit, above.6’800 rpm. The motor can run up to 9000 rpm.

I am using Curtis 1314 interface cable and programming software. I tried many ways to change the parameters - level of the speed limit - but it goes everytimes back automatically to the default value (max. 6’800rpm).

Does anyone have an idea how to change that value ?

Many thanks for you help, Roger Fawer - Switerland

Yep, you need someone like me to flash the controller and remove the OEM

Firmware that prevents the higher RPM and/or MPH due to legal obligations.

If interested I can provide the service you need by providing a ph#.

3 Likes

Loose interest or don’t monitor emails

What did you decide to do?

Hello, How do I remove the max speed setting of 3 on my Club Car Curtis controller? I have the Curtis 1313-4331 handsetr, but it seems as if I cannot go past speed setting 3, 14.8 MPH… 209-277-4800

Hello,

Are you capable of reprograming a 2015 GEM EV 1400 LSV controller to remove speed governor. If so, please send me your phone number so that I can discuss it with you. or call me at 503 975-6072.

Thanks much,
Richard

Is it a Curtis, if so which model?

Are you still working on your project. Didn’t hear back from you.

Can you still clash the programmers? Dave188188@gmail.com

Evnut, I would like to speak with you about Curtis controller programming and the highest output available.

So why didn’t you provide a ph# so that I may call you?

Wasn’t even sure the post I replied to was still active.

My number is 1 (225) 715-2006

A post was merged into an existing topic: You should be careful posting misinformation