RE: Magic Magnet review thread

I haven’t found the threads that we were discussing yesterday other than in my email inbox. What exactly do you need to spoof the voltage when switching to 96 volt lithium?

The controller will only turn on at less than about 84 volts. Need to fool the controller into turning on, then it runs fine.

Ok do I remove it and send it to you or is it something I can do with a programmer I just received? Don’t want to cut you out of making money! But? Thanks so much for your help on this monstrosity of a project that I have taken on here with 6 GM cars

···

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020, 10:36 AM Inwo via Electric Forum electricforum@discoursemail.com wrote:

Inwo

February 19

The controller will only turn on at less than about 84 volts. Need to fool the controller into turning on, then it runs fine.

Visit Message or reply to this email to respond to Inwo, Monkeyron.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

No, it’s a simple device that connects in-line. Wait till you have everything else done.

They leaf makes it a big job, but the price is right.

Good morning,
This same distributor has these NEC batteries. 48 volt packs at 90% efficiency left used and I can probably get them out the door for $600 a piece.

Let me know what your thoughts are on this as they seem to be a better choice? Instead of the 70% Leaf cells ? here’s the specs,

NEC A123 system LifePo4 48V 5 kWh 120 Ah Battery Golf Cart RV Solar Storage

NEC LifePo4 Lithium Ion Battery

Capacity: 120 Ah

Voltage Range: 35.0v - 46.8v

Energy: 5 kWh

Cell Configuration: 13S 6P

Max Current Discharge Rate: 150A

Max Current Charge Rate: 150A

Dimensions: 25 x 6.5 x 9.5 inch

Weight: 97 LBS

Operation Temperature: -30°C to 55°C

s-l400 (1).jpg

···

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020, 1:29 PM Inwo via Electric Forum electricforum@discoursemail.com wrote:

Inwo

February 19

No, it’s a simple device that connects in-line. Wait till you have everything else done.

They leaf makes it a big job, but the price is right.

It takes lots of work and time to find what batteries work well in a Gem. $$$ is only one consideration.
LiFePo4 is a completely different chemistry. Better in some respects, but not in others.
My recommendation is go with something proven.
150a peak jumps out. That doesn’t seem right. Gem needs 400 amp peaks for any kind of performance.
It will take at least 2p to get enough current from these. Paralleling cells is easy, modules, not so much.
If you want LiFePo4, go with an old Chevy Spark or prismatic cells. Prismatic are simplest to install and run. No bms needed with discrete “cell mounted” balancers.

I only have one set of drop-in 25s 60ah prismatic left until spring, and it seem that will not be enough range for you.

See if you can find a way to fit 50 of them in a gem. I’ll give you the dimensions if interested.
Come spring, I will want to unload the last 300 cells that are left, at a good price.

I think Chevy Volt or Spark are a “Gem” proven battery that is easy to find at junk yard. Easy to parallel and connect to bms.

You can even go with the old ones that are a good buy. Like a 2012. They won’t be degraded like the Leafs, in most cases.
Easy to disassemble, with lots of nice parts inside. I’ll find you a link to some.
Dave

For sale, but not by me.

Chevy Spark has 6 x 16s modules. Enough for 2 high mileage Gems.

Volt:

Thanks Dave,
I will be checking with the auction for a totaled Volt.
I will PayPal you later for the MMs and maybe the Spoof device.

Ron

···

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020, 9:22 AM Inwo via Electric Forum electricforum@discoursemail.com wrote:

Inwo

February 20

For sale, but not by me.

Hey Dave I got the magic magnets I installed it on my 08 special edition with a 7 horsepower motor as soon as I stepped on the gas I got an 82 wrench? then two more times it went to an 81 wrench it was an 81 thereafter each time? Ron

···

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020, 10:36 AM Ron Williams monkeyron99@gmail.com wrote:

Thanks Dave,
I will be checking with the auction for a totaled Volt.
I will PayPal you later for the MMs and maybe the Spoof device.

Ron

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020, 9:22 AM Inwo via Electric Forum electricforum@discoursemail.com wrote:

Inwo

February 20

For sale, but not by me.

That’s the code I would expect if something was wrong with the MM.
Look inside the cover to see if #1 and #2 switches are on.
Make sure it is plugged in solidly.
Try a different MM.
Car runs fine without device installed?
Can you test it in another car?

Let me know.
Dave

I put some taller wheels on adapters to the front and got an extra 2 miles an hour without the mm. Then I plugged in the mm and got 82. I did pop it open and I do believe one and three were on. I have another one I bought from the guy I bought the car from and had the same result. It was your older hot glued unit. I have a 05 e2 I have to install the newly painted pieces on. I will try that in the morning.
Ron

···

On Mon, Feb 24, 2020, 5:06 PM Inwo via Electric Forum electricforum@discoursemail.com wrote:

Inwo

February 25

That’s the code I would expect if something was wrong with the MM.

Look inside the cover to see if #1 and #2 switches are on.

Make sure it is plugged in solidly.

Try a different MM.

Car runs fine without device installed?

Can you test it in another car?

Let me know.

Dave

Sometimes a motor sensor, controller, or magnet is weak and mm won’t work.
Rare but it happens. If you can’t get it to work, send it back.
Dave

Dave,
I found the Tack Pickup was not snapped in all the way.
I snapped it in and the the MM worked great! I installed 205/45/17
wheels and got it to 37mph and 33 level.
Wooo hooo.
Now phase 2 for Lithium and spoof next.
Ron

···

On 2/20/2020 9:22 AM, Inwo via Electric
Forum wrote:

Inwo
Inwo

February 20

For sale, but not by me.

Chevy Spark has 6 x 16s

modules. Enough for 2 high mileage Gems.

Visit
or reply to this email to respond to Inwo, Monkeyron.

1 Like