Odd Steering Shaft?

This one goes out to @Old_Houseboater (since in sounds like he has done a few) but also to anyone else that may have had their steering shaft out. (maybe others have this problem too?)

Subject: '09 e2s (stock height)

I have an odd steering issue that seems to bind and release as it is being turned. Like something is bent somewhere, but I can’t see it yet. If it is the pinion in the rack it would be once per turn. This is like every half turn. It goes easy-> tight-> easy-> tight in one turn. It’s very odd and makes me turn like I am drunk. (Maybe I need to start?)

I am getting ready to pull the whole assembly out and see what I can find. The rack probably needs a good clean and new grease anyway.

Interesting observation: Clearing out the dash and kick panel I can see the shaft from above and noticed the upper and lower u-joints aren’t aligned, but clocked about 15 degrees from each other. Watching the spider when turning the wheel it seems to be doing quite a wild wobble in it’s cage! It’s not loose, like it is compensating for two planes. (tough to describe).

I know that if driveshafts aren’t perfectly in phase they will produce a vibration at speed, I am thinking this might be the problem. This seems to have been welded wrong from the factory.

Have you noticed this on other shafts you had on your bench? (You might even have a couple on your bench right now to look at).
-or-
Is this intentional by design from the factory and I have another problem I need to look for?

U joints are meant to be to be aligned. How ever 15 degrees off is probably not your problem. Did you always have this problem or is it recent. A binding joint is a possibility. Please post your results when you take it apart.

Please email me with your findings as I am very interested in steering and handling issues,

rodneyadiehl@aol.com

It’s a new car to me so I do not know the history. 15 degrees is just a eyeball guess. It is clearly off. I’ll take a few pics before diving into it.

The ‘07 I just acquired does this too! Let me know what you find!

If your upper steering shaft is bent (unlikely) it can cause binding. More likely a bad “u” joint in the lower shaft.