Nissan Leaf sales up 310% in March 2013

While the headline may be a little misleading, the fact that Nissan Leaf sales across Canada are up 310% in March 2013, compared to March 2012, is an interesting development. However, the fact that sales of the Nissan Leaf in Canada totalled just 82 in March 2013 compared to 20 in March 2012 does perhaps take the shine off it a bit.

Sales this year, up to the end of March 2013, now total 156 units against just 68 during the same period in 2012. Is this an interesting development or do we need further evidence of increased interest?

I usually see 1-2 a day driving around by me. I still want one for daily commuting. :slight_smile:

Hi FEUS

I think this is going to be a slow drip feed for some time to come but the more cars out and about the more chance people will become interested.

Did you see this battery article from earlier today :-

Aluminum, air and water form a battery that can power an EV for 1,000 miles - TECH.BLORGE.com

Very interesting :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Editor;14733]Hi FEUS

I think this is going to be a slow drip feed for some time to come but the more cars out and about the more chance people will become interested.

Did you see this battery article from earlier today :-

Aluminum, air and water form a battery that can power an EV for 1,000 miles - TECH.BLORGE.com

Very interesting :)[/QUOTE]

I did see that, and it’s nice but they’d need to come up with a nice quick replacement system almost like an oil change. I do at times 1,000 miles in 2-3 weeks… that could get costly, but that is pretty nice. Especially if one could do that work them self :wink:

The idea is some kind of battery exchange service where you pay so much a month and exchange your battery for a new one.

depends on the cost, but i could deal with that…

I think we are starting to edge towards the 300 mile journey capacity which was mentioned in a recent US driver survey. At that point it seems that more people would take electric cars seriously.

I agree, but if it costs us $200+ per aluminum change, i dont know that i can see people wanting to do that.

I do like the idea though especially since i’m sure they can recycle it and it is some damn impressive range.

If the industry can sell battery exchange programs as environmentally friendly and a useful way to “quickly charge” your vehicle, we could be onto a winner here?

Last time I checked Better Place was not doing that well. It’s a good idea though.

Better Place To Shut Down U.S., Australian Operations - Forbes

In many ways the industry seems to be taking two steps forward and one step back at the moment but there are signs of progress and an increase in customer interest.