New to Gem: Bought 2002 E825 for hilly area

Could you point me to some please?

Your 02 had the controller mounted in the dash. Is it mounted to a plate? (tough for me to see in the pic.)

On later models it really helps if you put thermal paste on the bottom of the controller so it transfers heat to the plate. But that plate is also up front in the air. Heavy used cars actually came with a finned heatsink and a small fan.

Most likely none of this will apply to your early car but I bet it can to a point. Your controller is in a pocket of dead air and could use a breeze to get rid of some of the heat.

I agree, short answer get a 2008 Modle.
They came with a transmission that’s better geared for Hills 12:35.1and as Dave pointed out a Controller that’s mounted in a better location.

My 2002 had constant controller over heat problems. #1 if your controller is Original that’s most likely the problem. A new rebuilt $500 controller from FSIP fixes lots of things.
#2 a Heatsink and a fan fixes things as well.

appreciate it, will upgrade on the next one. I got this for at a steal of a price so I think we’ll round out some minor mods like the brakes, wrap, wheels, etc and work on cooling the controller

thanks all!

In the upper right of your page you will find a magnifying glass search tool. It will lead you to previous topics of conversations stored in the archives. Type in keywords to expand/narrow your search as needed.

Lots of info on -41 such as this:

If you do something that works out for you, come back and share it.

code 41 most of the time is a dragging brake (jack up car and confirm all 4 tires turn freely). Or low tire pressure. (inflate to 35 psi) I will bet a beer you have one of those. Also check which charger you have and confirm it is on the correct setting. you have $2,000 worth of batteries in there.
make sure they are being charged correctly

Wow somehow I missed this. Put new tires/wheels and upgraded the brakes. Plus a whole bunch of cosmetic upgrades.

Would you happen to know how can I check if the charger is on the correct setting?

It flashes the code when first energized. If you search the forum on how to change algorithms there are a number of posts detailing the process to read and change if needed

@LithiumGods @Inwo do either of you have lithium packs available that would be good for my setup? Having trouble getting back up the hill after a 1-2 mile downhill then flat road. Coming back up the car starts at 15mph and quickly drops to 1-2.

A good battery is the place to start. I don’t know if it’s a total solution to speed up hill. Do you suspect poor batteries?
Our best battery, imo, is 22s Samsung sdi. I’m 4ah 82v nominal.
$2500 complete.

No clue what’s causing the uphill slowness. Hoping for ideas from the community.

Also anyone know what “U” codes are on the display?

Can you share installation instructions? Want to see if it’s something I can do myself

The last part of this thread shows typical installation.
Only two cables to connect. Positive and negative.

@AssyRequired will share his experience installing one.

The hardest part is deciding where to put it in your car. Let me see if I can find some line drawings of the frames on those cars.
What model is your 825? 2 seat, 4? Flatbed?
It can be tricky to find the unobstructed room without cutting away plastic somewhere.

Also, (I almost hate to say it) but you might be starting off with the wrong car if you are building a hill car. The early cars had a small motor, (not much option/room for bigger), and 10.41 gears in the trans.
How big are your hills?

In post 4 someone said my transmission is 12.44

4 seat - pics at the top of this thread

I think you might be able to get the SDI pack in where the 4 batteries were if you put it in on it’s side and tilt back. You’ll have to measure though.

The crappy part is that you’re going to need to keep about 100-120 lbs of ballast up front over the motor and wheels or the cart won’t be driveable.

Took a video of what’s happening. On the flats I can get 25-30mph. On the hills about 15. Would lithium help me get to 25+ on the hills and longer overall range?

Honestly, you’re about to build a money pit with shitty steering and crappy brakes.

Nothing you can ever do to fix the steering on the 01-04. Very little you can do about the suspension. Brake upgrades are like $700.

Get rid of this one, and get something 08 or later.

You’ll be much happier

1 Like

Appreciate it but the $ is already in. So going to make the best of it even if it’s another couple k