New GEM Lithuim progress

Looks good got a full bay now, Dont think I will need 2 packs I dont travel far just a couple miles. Got my new DQ so waiting to see if Travis can program it. Are you going to run 2 BMS boxes or just one and charge packs individually?

Plan is to make a parallel bms harness. Cell to cell jumpers. That’s what I did when I had parallel 18s packs in the Tomberlin.

I don’t need more range either. Like you I have extra batteries. Might as well sit in the Gem as on the shelf.
I just like to tinker!

Here’s picture of a 12s + 12s done with stock cables and my PCBs that fit in bms box.

I don’t have enough orange cables left to make another. If you have extra, we might trade something.

By the time I went back to a lower voltage in Tomberlin, I had sold my 48v charger. I have the 72v DQ connected to 60v pack,controlled by BMS-24. Works super well. Set points for high cell stop and another for restart. So it will charge-stop-balance-charge-stop-balance all day. Bringing up the low cells to full.

How does it swap over from 24s pack to 24s pack just switching the negative wire ?

Not sure I follow.

Shows original connections of my 2-pack in series. (outer packs)
Added…Right connected to right. Left connected to left.

The BMS moniters 24 now you have 48 to moniter…

OK, I just started following this thread. I want to play too. You guys need to bring me up to speed on the acronyms and jargon that you are using: 12 or 22 or 24 or 18s, LTO, spoof, MM, I assume BMS-24 is battery monitor system for 24 cells.

Still 24s total.
Internally Volt cells have parallel connected pouches. This just adds more.

MODULE SPECIFICATIONS
Number of cells 36
Construction 12 in-series x 3 in parallel

How about this explanation?
Cell connections shown are thru bms ports.

Cell numbers such as 24s are 24 cells in series.
If 3p is noted. Means each of the 24 cells are parallel packs of 3.
What I call voltage spoof is a device that fools controller into accepting higher voltage. Operating at higher voltage is a risky move.
MM is device that scales tach pulses to controller. Allowing higher speed limit. Risk of motor over-speed.
BMS-24 that I refer to is a new all in one device that displays all 24s on one screen. Reads state of charge. Amps in and out. Connects an internal load to high cells to bring them down to match lower cells. (balance function) Can be configured to inhibit charger when any one cell is “full”. Also can alarm or shut down car if a cell is low.

So you will not be monitoring or protecting an individual cell but a pack of cells.

Well, yes. But that is how it’s always done. Each “cell” in a volt pack is actually three 15ah pouches connected together. Plus to plus, minus to minus. They are forced into balance by being electrically connected.
My method connects another 3 pouches in another battery to each “cell” in original pack.
No need to balance or monitor discrete cells when tied together, as all must be exactly the same.

1 Like

Good to know. I may not mount my DQ and BMS in the gem since i also want to use the volt batteries in a ezgo and a cushman project and dont want to buy a charger and BMS for each.

How about this guy on Ebay http://myworld.ebay.com/nbx_goodies has good prices on his packs.

How much data have you guys collected on range, at this point in time that would be the only reason I would change over to lithium is for more range.

I have it as fast I want to go and still feel safe 38 mph on gps. I would not trust it any faster with out a brake upgrade it goes good with no problems. just takes a little more room to stop it right now.
I will start on the brake upgrade next. I’m going to try and build my own this winter.

4kw Volt only gives me a little over 12 Miles. Stop and go every 1/4 mile, hilly. 47ah
Added another 4 kw this week. May not have data till spring. 94ah
Look at the Bosch 68ah 20s 72 volt packs.
Supposed to be new.

I sent the guy on ebay a message about a 20 pack, he said only in 6’s so his next up is a 24 pack. I was thinking about buying 2 of the 20’s and doubling up on the AH but my mind is telling me 24’s will be way too much power. I don’t have a can of extra smoke that would be needed to fix it, when all the smoke comes out.
I just don’t want to over power the controller, no hard data on just how much 1 will take before it’s too much.
I not sure on how well or long the charger will hold up trying to keep up with 96 volts.
Anyone have an opinion on this subject, or real world experience.
Thanks. Ken.

Volt is only in 6packs.
The Bosch is listed as a 20 pack.
No problem with a DQ doing 98 volts.
The controller, who knows, works for me. You can also tap the Volt packs 2s in for 22s, but then waste two.

Not simple to have batteries in different places if you use BMS.
Do they offer BMS for 24s pack?
What is you plan for paralleling packs?

There are two sellers with complete Volt backs for less than $2k delivered. Thats 7pcs 12s and 2 pcs 6s total.
Enough for 2 or 4 Gems.

Picture of 4 12 pack fitment.
Parallel plug-in bms harness. Db-25 plug to forward mounted bms display. Under development.
Bms display.

1 Like

It looks as though I deleted your post.
Sorry.
Dave