Need Steering Rack Assembly

I am told that my 2009 GEM E6 is in need of a replacement steering rack assembly. We had one ordered but the ship date keeps getting pushed back. Any suggestions of someplace that might have this part in stock? I posted back in May with no responses but thought I would try again (maybe I am doing something wrong?). Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

I suspect this is due to it being such an unusual request. I don’t see too many needing a new one.
Who says you need a new one? Do you trust this guy?

What are your symptoms?

I do trust him. He is not a GEM expert but deals in other golfcarts and LSV in our community. If anything I think his lack of experience with GEMs might be a concern.
My GEM has 17,000 miles. If I understand properly he says that there is an uncomfortable amount of space between the steering assembly and where it connects to the wheel?? Though I may be relaying that incorrectly.
There is a lot of “play” in the steering when I drive. He also suggests that I will need new ball joints or A-arm replacements…
Oh, and this all was recommended before the funny noise that I have started hearing from the front left side…

I believe the rack/pinion can be adjusted/tightened up. If run loose and dry (torn boots?) then it may have just wore out the pinion and won’t tighten up any more than it is.

We have now moved from the “going to need” stage to intensive care :frowning: My husband was driving “Pearl” this weekend with a full load of adults when her front end gave out. The mechanic came to pick her up yesterday and it seems as if she is going to need a few more parts along with the steering assembly. I have told him about this forum but he is not a computer type of guy and asked me if I can put him in touch with one of you GEM experts. Is there someone who would be willing to talk with him on the phone? One question he has is about the best way to source parts for a vehicle of her age (2009). Are there parts from other types of vehicles that can sometimes be used? This is the only forum I am on so I do not know if we are even allowed to reach out in other ways. My email is lewalte1@yahoo.com Thanks for any help you can provide.