Misreading battery guage

My battery guage was reading 00 and I drove 2 miles if I turn off the key and restart it it read 42 % anyone deal with this

Can you provide a bit more details on this?
What year car?
When was the last time it was working properly?
Was there perhaps an event that may have caused this ? Perhaps a battery change?
Is this car otherwise charging and running properly?
What batteries are you running?
Put a meter on them and find out where you are on them.

[quote=“AssyRequired, post:2, topic:26093, full:true”]
Can you provide a bit more you are on them. provide a bit more details on this?e825 2seater
What year car?2002
When was the last time it was working properly?just recently noticed it
Was there perhaps an event that may have caused this ? Perhaps a battery change?no other than replacing charge input
Is this car otherwise charging and running properly?yes it still runs fine
What batteries are you running?dominator sealed gel
Put a meter on them and find out where you are on them.
[/quote]hanks for your time :+1:

Ok, based on this, here is my SWAG (Scientific Wild-Aced Guess)

The Gen1 PID Displays were Voltage based guesstimate devices. They monitor the battery voltage and come up with a basic guess at battery State of Charge based on internal stored information that might look like this:

I’m not sure how often the PID does it’s updates but it is not on the fly every moment you are driving.
My guess is that you were at the end of your run and low on battery energy and perhaps under load (accelerating or pulling a hill) when it chose to take a peek at PackV, found it very low on the scale and update your screen to 00.

When you reached your destination and shut down this released the load on the batteries and typically your batteries will recover a bit of their surface charge when sitting idle.

Upon your return you switched on your key and the PID did an immediate peek at PackV and found your batteries higher and calculated 42%.

This is just a guess.

Perhaps it is an indicator that you pack could use a full checkup?
When was the last time it was serviced?
Make sure your cables are clean and tight.
Check the balance of all the batteries and run a load test looking for a weak battery.
At the end of your errands how is the car performing?
How old are these batteries?
What kind of range are you getting?
How low do you run your batteries? Note: If below 50% SOC it starts to break down/alter the internal components and they start losing capacity.
According to this chart 50% is about 12v. Your batteries are considered fully discharged and need to be recharged.
12v battery SOC%

Thanks again I will do some more digging and see if I can find the cause