Minimum Charger Requirements

Hey folks,

I recently purchased a used EV & I’d like to install an onboard charging system (It came with a monster 85 lb portable charger that I’d rather not lug around with me). My question is what would be the minimum charging AMPs needed to charge the following pack within 10 hours (required by my state)…

20 x Interstate U2300 - 6v - Ah 242 - 120v total pack

A KTA BC-20 would do the job for you charging at 115 volts with the programmable resistors. I have one and it is coupled with a transformer to jump up the voltage to charge a 144 volt system. KTA doesn’t produce them anymore but you might find a used one.

Thank you for the information on the charger, i will try it with my new bought charger. My last charger was gone repaired in 3 months.

I’m trying to figure out why a multiple battery system using a variation of the Bike lamp generator to recharge the system would not work. A computer controlled switching system could be used to ensure one section was being charged while the other section was in use. I would love to explore this with someone because my expertise is computers.

[QUOTE=Dreg;10709]I’m trying to figure out why a multiple battery system using a variation of the Bike lamp generator to recharge the system would not work. A computer controlled switching system could be used to ensure one section was being charged while the other section was in use. I would love to explore this with someone because my expertise is computers.[/QUOTE]

Take a look at the Delta-Q listed for sale on the forum. It is rated 131vdc at 9amp using both 110 and 220vac (very important) Install a J1772 recepticle for public use and a 5-30 plug in parallel for home use.

Normally, 1~3kW on board battery charger is widely used in EV, for home charing,the cost is lower and easy for everyone.

This article on my blogging site shows how long it takes a typical Level 2 charger to charge your EV, I hope it helps.