Looking for part #2878981 MAGNET, MOTOR MAGNET GEM 2012

I was getting code 81 and noticed that some of the surrounding material on the magnet is deteriorating, as shown in the image. After reseating the speed sensor, the car is running properly, but I suspect this hasn’t fully resolved the issue, and the magnet might need to be replaced.

I’ve seen some inexpensive options on eBay, but I can’t find anyone who can confirm they fit my GE 5 HP engine on the 2012 model.

Does anyone know where I can find a compatible magnet?

If yoou can, carefully fish out the remaining bits of ring that have scattered around in there. Slowly roll the car back/forth a bit to get at all the bits.
Then put a few drops of crazy glue on the remaining half that is left on the motor shaft. This will keep you going for a while until you get a new magnet ring. (or the remaining bit flies off)

The magnet tells the sensor that the motor is turning. The controller counts the pulses. With half of the magnet missing, your controller thinks the gar is going half of actual speed. You may note this as a lower speed on your dash(compared to GPS).

That link you found on the other post should work just fine. It will fit tight. So tight that it might even break tapping it on. Take a bit of sandpaper or use a dremel tool to open up the bushing slightly so it goes on easier.

Would I be stranded if it did fall off?

So, is it not the correct part, but I can make it fit? I have yet to see someone discuss removing and replacing this magnet. I wouldn’t want the super glue to get it stuck. Do you have to get something behind it and pry it out?

Someone told me that the magnets easily break, even when they are the correct size, and are replaced by people who do this all the time.

They did not mention using a Dremel tool to widen them, which is an interesting idea. Does that work and does not mess up the functionality?

Yes they do. They are all way too tight IMO. That is why I suggested shaving out a little bit of the inside bushing. This might not be published in too many places except here.

If you dig around enough you can find the post that suggests using a couple of paint can openers to get in there and hook out the old bushing. Otherwise you are pulling the end cap off the motor to give it a quick clean out and inspection when doing the magnet.

Would I be stranded if it did fall off?

Yes, Without the magnet the controller gets upset and faults with a -81. Car stops. Hopefully, you have a friend that can help push.

1 Like

I believe when I replaced my magnet I pre heated my oven to the lowest temperature (170 I think) and then shut off the oven after it was fully heated up and put the magnet in. DO NOT PUT IT IN WHILE THE OVEN IS ON, it will most likely cause the magnet to crack from heating up too fast. Mine went on pretty easy, a few light taps with a hammer (with a block of wood between it and the magnet) and it was on. You could also use a shop press to put it on if you have one. Disclaimer: I did this when it was well below freezing in my garage so that also helped shrink the shaft some. I used paint can openers and then flat head screwdrivers to get my old one off.

1 Like

I got the Motor Magnet discussed.

As installing is such a pain, does it matter which side faces the motor?
Is it the solid silver ring side toward the sensor?
Also, this one does not have any dots on it. Is that an issue?

The solid metal piece should face away from the engine, while the raised metal piece faces toward it. When people mention the magnet being on tight, they’re referring to the inner ring.

If you don’t have a paint can opener, I recommend ordering one when you get your magnet. Since both are metal, the opener works perfectly for the job and only costs about 68 cents. A little WD-40 helps with removing the old one and fitting the new one on. It’s so tight that you’ll need to hammer it into place. Be careful when reinstalling it, as many people break theirs during this step—the magnet around the outer part is quite fragile.

I hope this helps anyone replacing their speed magnet.