Lithium Ion Battery Production Will Tripple or Quadruple in Next Few Years

I, as I’m sure most people here do, try to keep up with things that will impact the EV market and more importantly the way we live.

Tony Seba has sever very interesting videos on Disruptive Technologies, specifically Key Exponential Technologies. Electric Storage (Batteries) is one of the ones that interests me most.

[ame]https://youtu.be/hMg6_ShLleQ[/ame]

His data concerning Electric cars is also very compelling…

[ame]https://youtu.be/RBkND76J91k[/ame]

A little due diligence reveals that others (the manufacturers) are in agreement. The Billions of $$ being poured into electric cars by Nissan, BMW, GM, Ford, Mercedes, etc… Not to mention Tesla, Faraday and others definitely leads one to believe that $15,000 EV’s with 300 mile ranges will be here by 2025.

Although that excites me, the thing that has me really encouraged is the battery revolution we’re all witnessing. Assuredly, some are more attuned to this than others, but the massive ramp up of production capability is staggering when you think of it, especially when you factor in the fact that Solar PV panels technology is improving and costs dropping to the point that it will soon be cheaper to produce electricity on one’s rooftop cheaper than the utility companies can transmit it to you. Couple all of this together and we have zero net energy homes at an affordable price. With sufficient home battery storage we can not only run our households but charge our vehicles as well.

Tesla, as we all know, is ahead of schedule with their Giga Factory in Sparks Nevada. As recently as July they indicated that they alone could triple the worlds current li-ion battery production.

Add to this the fact that many other li-ion manufacturers are significantly increasing their production. Companies such as BYD, Panasonic, AESC, Nitsubishi, Samsung, Epower, Beijing Pride, Lyoyang, Wanxiang, Daimler, LG and others have all announced two, three and even four fold increases in production either under way or already doing so.

If Seba’s predictions hold true, that costs of li-ion batteries drops by 14% per year over the next 8 to 10 years, I think the implications for all of us will be astounding.

If we then include the fact that there are several folks out there that have improved upon li-ion storage capabilities with such things as SAKTI’s solid state battery technology, Power Japan Plus’ dual carbon battery, various Graphene battery manufacturers, all of which promise energy densities that are much higher and charge times that are much shorter, I think we’re in for some very exciting times.

A few more articles…

Tesla Model S Will Be Cheaper Thanks To A Battery Breakthrough : Tech : iTech Post

Graphene Enables Battery Breakthough Says Fisker - Gas 2

Dyson plots electric car with breakthrough battery, CAR+ 2016 by CAR Magazine