Let’s see your roof racks

Yes, well aware of that. But considering the shitty materials and build quality of anything from HF “good” is highly debatable. If you want to buy a tool that you use once, then go for it. Just food for thought.

1 Like

haha, you confused “great options” with it meaning somehow it was good or even close to comparable to a custom made $1500 roof rack. Hopefully people know that the brand name “Harbor Freight” does not go hand and hand with words like “quality”, “long lasting”, “top notch”, “excellent”, “shiny”, or any adjectives like those.

I have little doubt the 150 lbs load limit is also not a single load but a fully distributed 150 lbs. Don’t throw your kids grandmother up there on your way to WallyWorld. @grantwest rack looks beefy enough for grandma and granddad plus mounts for lights to flood the parking lot at WallyWorld should you get there before daybreak.

That Amazon one is also 150 lbs and comes in 3 pieces so it too is not something to haul granny around town on.

1 Like

The racks were made from 4130 cromolly. The bad part of them their was absolutely Zero flex or movement in them. So “If” your roof was out of square or not the same shape as the JIG
(A actual gem roof) good luck making it sit flat .

I used the actual roof of my car to template the rack. And yes you could have put a lot of weight on the rack or in the basket No problem. My friend rode in the basket and surfed in the rack like Teen Wolf

1 Like

I guess it depends on what you plan on putting up there for weight (a lumber run for a fence/Ice chest, beach chairs, garage sale items you can’t live without)

Or just going for “the look” and a convenient place to mount some extra driving/side lights and a place to hang the holiday decos.

I guess it might also protect the moon roof from small falling children.

Doug, friends don’t let friends buy Harbor Freight, man…

1 Like

Does anyone know of a rack that works with the newer GEM’s with their t slot? Thanks.

This pipe rack says 100# load limit
Legal departments are wildly pessimistic, about load limits
List on the GEM builder app is $500
A couple of tek screws, with the seal washer remove less material than a rivet nut
Rivet nuts are a special kind of hell when they get loose or seize/gall

Custom work requires custom prices to keep the lights on & the expense/time of the design work isn’t spread out over 100’s of units