LED Gem Car headlights

Grant those are pretty cool… have thought about mounting lights under the front of the car… over the summer I’ve encountered both bikes and pedestrians wearing dark clothing… with the stock headlights… dark streets and bad eyesight… I need as much help as I can get…

Bob

1 Like

These are Floods I have on my other GEM. They work great, But as you can see they are not gonna just drop in, I havent had the 2 car’s side by side to see what the difference between the 6 LED flood lights are like compaird to the 2 LED Spot/Flood combo is like

But just off the top of my head, I can tell you the inexpensive $50 2 LED Flood/Spot combo that I posted a link to is 70-80% as good as my More expensive 6 LED squares.

P.S I would like to see what the Rigid D2 Floods are like compared to my Sidetracked Squares

I just got these installed today. Found them on eBay for about 40.00.

They are wayyy too bright. I aimed them down because they are flood/spot but they are too high straight ahead. I will have to look at cutting the power down on them or else adding a layer of tint to cut the brightness.

Don’t buy these thinking they will work as is because they are way too bright. I do like them, just need to get them about 25 percent dimmer or more.

I doubt they will be externally dimmable. Certainly not with a triac dimmer, if that’s what you meant.

Do they come apart? Can you take a picture of driver?

Adjusting them down is the ticket. They don’t need to be dimmed. As long as the light is not blinding on coming drivers.

You can park your car and then get in some one else’s car and that way your getting a real vantage point of other drivers. Lower the lights until you feel they are not blinding other drivers.

BTW it’s less about how the light is and more about how the light or where the light is pointing

Grant… I really like the 2 LED Flood/Spot combo… are they hard to mount and could you take another photo of the whole front of the car from a distance also where did you find them?

Bob

Sorry I don’t have that car any more

ok… good for you… I’d like to say that but bride says… you bought the one you have and you can’t have another… my next thing is your Lithium pack… just dumped a bunch into a motor rebuild and my batteries are only a year old…

thanks for answering

thanks for those photos

Bob

[quote=Gwest;30324]Adjusting them down is the ticket. They don’t need to be dimmed. As long as the light is not blinding on coming drivers.

You can park your car and then get in some one else’s car and that way your getting a real vantage point of other drivers. Lower the lights until you feel they are not blinding other drivers.

BTW it’s less about how the light is and more about how the light or where the light is pointing[/quote]

Adjusting them down is not going to prevent me from getting a ticket. These are too bright even when adjusted down. I’m going to try to dim them, otherwise they’ll have to come off. This is surely a try at your own risk experiment. They are for off road use only.

Adjusting them down is not going to prevent me from getting a ticket.

Ok sounds good. Better not risk it. I would say take them off, I’m sure your going to get in deep trouble. Please box up the lights and send them to me I’ll make sure they get put to proper use. LOL

P.S you know how many car are using HID bulbs that are Illegal! Along with lots of other cars.but better to be safe LOL

[quote=Gwest;30337]Ok sounds good. Better not risk it. I would say take them off, I’m sure your going to get in deep trouble. Please box up the lights and send them to me I’ll make sure they get put to proper use. LOL

P.S you know how many car are using HID bulbs that are Illegal! Along with lots of other cars.but better to be safe LOL[/quote]

Ah, sarcasm. Nice. Anyway, posting online that these are replacement headlights when in fact they are not, big problem. They are specifically off road lights. So if I get a ticket with these are you going to pay the fine?

1 Like

I wonder how these would work?

They are next door. Might test fit one.

Dave thoes look good. Let’s see how they fit in the headlight bucket. Be sure NOT to post a link to these if they work out LIKE I DID. You wouldn’t want someone (tommy) to get “upset” with you for suggesting a product that worked as described! LOL.

1 Like

Never said I was upset, I’m just not going to be a jerk on the road. I’m considerate of other people and don’t wish to blind them nor do I wish do get a ticket and have to take it in and prove I’ve fixed the lights to get them dimmer. But don’t worry about it, I’ve found a solution. Going to add 50 percent blackout tint to get the brightness down.

And that’s not just my opinion either. I had company over when I first tested these after hooking up and they weren’t even in front of these but 30 feet away and to the side and they were like “holy $h#t!, that’s bright”. We all agreed they were well, well, well, beyond legal use. Not even close to acceptable brightness. But they are afterall, sold as “off road use lights” so that was something I had considered. They are more of a spot/flood so I do see it as an upgrade as more directional light on the road, but they are not “on road legal” as-is. If anyone is planning on adding these it’s something you should consider, just trying to give you warning.

1 Like