Just Bought 3 GEMs

Hi again Mike.

I did some more archeology on the gear boxes. Good news and bad.

Bad news: On the transaxle for which I sent you a photo of the label, the armature of the motor seems corroded in place. At least I cannot remove it using a ton of PB Blaster, Rodney’s technique of wiggling the shaft and even two 36” wrecking bars prying it out. I’ve destroyed the armature in the process but the gearbox itself is not frozen and may be good if you can find a way to remove the armature. Interestingly, the label shows a date of 06-19-2009. This is a 2002 vehicle so the transaxle must have been replaced at some point.

Good news: Here’s a photo of the label on the other transaxle. Unfortunately, some of the label if illegible. No problem removing the motor on this one which I did this afternoon. Will this one do??

Bill Green

249 should be a 10:35 gears box, that should work. I will send you a PM

Bill, I looked at the rubber I need and it didn’t go behind the wiper but instead I believe it went over the batteries. I measured the remains and it’s 2.5’ long and 1’ wide with a plastic trim piece on the top. The trim piece is still in good shape so isn’t needed which should the piece to be rolled up.

My wiper motor works but there’s lots of play in the wiper arm showing the worm gear meshing is worn or something. If yours don’t have a lot of rotational play it’ll work well. Thanks.

There is a heavy gage grey rubber like material used for construction waterproofing that I found at Home Depot and it worked great for this purpose.

1 Like

Doug, Here’s a photo of the rubber may I removed from my 2002. I believe its purpose is to protect the electronics on on passenger side of the firewall from splashes. I don’t see any mat covering the batteries. It sounds like you may have something different.

I purchase a pond liner off amazon and cut mine to size. worked for inside the Gem and covering the batteries.

just a thought

1 Like

There’s normally a liner in front of the long one that goes behind the wiper motor. I believe it’s to shed water off the top of the upper battery and battery tray since there’s a big air gap across the hood at the windshield and this smaller liner was centered under that area. Just a rectangular piece of rubber. Save the long one Bill or put it on ebay as it’s got a bunch of cut-outs and such people will probably go for a used one instead of making one.

If you still have the yellow fenders, can you post pictures of them. I have an 2002 4 seater, that has a rear bumper that is chipped and cracked.

thanks

John

do you have the black resistor block that is on the positive terminal of the batteries? it will have 2 black wires with spade connectors on it.
Also, do you have the PSDM module?

Are the two yellow fenders still available?