Is camber adjustable on trans2/GEM?

Just picked up a '96 trans2 (GEM precurser) and it looks like it has excessive positive camber in the front wheels. Is camber adjustable? I don’t have a factory manual.

Thanks

[QUOTE=trans2;5752]Just picked up a '96 trans2 (GEM precurser) and it looks like it has excessive positive camber in the front wheels. Is camber adjustable? I don’t have a factory manual.[/QUOTE]

The NEV group on yahoo groups has an older GEM service manual. So that might help you.

Perform a front alignment first - +1/16th Toe In. Procedures are written in the Service Manuals. GEM Parts 877.447.0102 NEV Service

The older GEMs have “swing axle” suspension like the old Chevy Corvair and pre-1966 VW Bug. Suspension height directly influences camber on these vehicles. Whenever this problem has occurred on my employer’s GEMs, we replaced the coil spring / shocks. 2005 and newer GEMs with the “double wishbone” suspension do not seem to have this problem.

Daniel

I wanted to correct my camber. I corrected it by installing some straight flanges I cut off the ears and installed below the end of each spring. (1.75" straight flange). I made a spring compressor because the ones for autos are too big. This is used to compress the spring so I can take it off and install the shim. I made it out of two 2.25" straight flanges, some 3/16" or larger threaded rod, ends of a butter fly wall holder to keep the threads from cutting into the flange. You must be very careful to align the flanges on the spring and keep it straight by alternatingly tightening the nuts on each side of the spring. It works great! I bought all the parts for less than $18 from Tractor Supply Company. The first picture is the spring compressor and the second is the shim mounted on the shock. The third picture is the shim before I ground off the ears.

Confused, how will compressing the springs help the camber? Are there replacement springs available? At $350 per unit, it would be great to be able to rebuild these.

Daniel

You have to compress the spring to get it off the shock. Then add a shim at the lower end before you put the spring back on. This preloads the spring so the car stands taller and tilts the wheel inward. I put a 1/4 inch flange/shim and it corrected my negative camber and looks good too. (see middle picture) The car seems to ride better and should cut down on the inside edge wheel wear. I bought all the parts from Tractor Supply Company for less than $18. Beats the heck out $362…

1 Like