Irish engineering student-looking for input

Hi Everyone-I’m a student of product design in Ireland and I’m planning to design and build a pure electric or hybrid electric vehicle to be submitted in 2010 for my final year project.

I got into product design because I’m a bit of a sci-fi enthusuiast and I don’t understand where all the teleporters, starships and hovercars went- its the 21st century for Roddenberrys sake!

I’m interested in EV’s because from a design standpoint they pose interesting challenges relating to batteries that once overcome allow a designer a lot more freedom concerning the form of the vehicle.

At the moment I’m doing research related to the area of EV/PHEVs and figured it’d be useful to talk to you guys through the next year or so and stea…[B]borrow [/B]your experience building / owning your vehicles.

I didn’t see anything about it in the forum rules, but is it ok to post a surveymonkey questionnaire to pick your brains?

I’d value your input.

I’m sure it’s fine given your honest intentions. Give it a go!

Well I am an electrical engineer and will be happy answer specific questions if I know the answer.

Right now the major barrier to making EV’s a reality to the masses is battery technology./chemistry. There is simply nothing on the market or on the drawing boards that will satisfy the demands of the market. All the other technology is here today.

The other obstacles are minor in comparison to the battery issue mainly politics, but that is another discussion.

Until a battery can deliver 300 wh/kg or more, safe, can be 100% DOD without damage. 3000+ cycle life without serious capacity loss or 10 plus years, and competitive pricing pure EV’s will remain a niche product.