IP Question

Just bounced a spammer who who made multiple accounts from the same ip addy. I have admin’ed other forums where if a user registers from the same ip addy it sends out a message saying so to mod’s & admin’s so they can deal with the situation. Is there a way to implement this on the forum?

[QUOTE=LuvMyTJ;13292]Just bounced a spammer who who made multiple accounts from the same ip addy. I have admin’ed other forums where if a user registers from the same ip addy it sends out a message saying so to mod’s & admin’s so they can deal with the situation. Is there a way to implement this on the forum?[/QUOTE]

dear fellow mod:

this can be done by infracting all the user accounts with the same IP address as a spammer. once this is done, they would be banned from the forum.

i hope this helps.

respectfully yours,

MARC

[QUOTE=LuvMyTJ;13292]Just bounced a spammer who who made multiple accounts from the same ip addy. I have admin’ed other forums where if a user registers from the same ip addy it sends out a message saying so to mod’s & admin’s so they can deal with the situation. Is there a way to implement this on the forum?[/QUOTE]

Hi LMT,
I’m pretty sure this can be done with our forum software and a plugin. Just not sure how easy it will be with our setup. I will investigate and report back to you.

We do actually use a system that helps with this type of spam called Stop Forum Spam. It checks IP addresses and user names from other forum owners reporting spammers and blocks these registrations. Some new spammers slip through the net though.
Regards
Bob

[QUOTE=Jose Marc;13293]dear fellow mod:

this can be done by infracting all the user accounts with the same IP address as a spammer. once this is done, they would be banned from the forum.

i hope this helps.

respectfully yours,

MARC[/QUOTE]

Marc - i think you are missing the point. LMT is talking about an automated system that would warn us if a new account is registered with the same IP address as an account that has been banned. This way we could catch the account before the spam occurs.

Regards
Bob

dear bob:

isn’t banning them as spam have the same effect?

in any case, i may have misunderstood.

thanks.

respectfully yours,

MARC

@Marc - The notice I am talking about will let us know if a user makes a second account via email. That way we can head it off early.

I had a recent issue where a user/spammer made an account, used it like a regular user, then a few days later made a second account to reply to his first accounts questions in order to sneak his spam in. I had to manually check the ip of both account to see it was the same person. An alert would save us time and useless post.

On another forum where I am an administrator when I get these alerts via email I can ban the ip to make it more difficult for them to join up again. I may get the same guy 3-4 maybe more if I don’t ban the ip. The email alert lets me do it immediately before they can get on and spam up the forum.

dear LMTJ

thanks for the advice. been doing this for quite some time too and that would certainly be a great help.

do advise on that software so we can do a lookover.

thanks.

respcetfully yours,

MARC