Hmm what should I say?

Hey Lovely people!
I just bought a GEM 2000 from our local fire department for $500
Seemed like a good idea because I don’t really have a car to myself, and thought this cute (non-petrol) vehicle could get me around town, it even has a little light on the top!
So I feel a little over my head about it all, I just know I want to be part of the change, I need batteries! Can’t really discern which I need after looking at the amazing posts here, more confused… It sounds like I will need to replace them every year or so, if that’s the case ouch! I can use the GEM daily because I am home a lot, would love so. Support and direction from anyone in the know…
~blessings

Welcome. To the best of my knowledge I don’t think you would need to replace the batteries every year… do you know what batteries you have now? Brand / Manufacture?

Hi,
Thanks for responding, there were no batteries in the Gem at all, which bummed me out a little was hoping I met get a little charge out of them, so I am starting from scratch… I have a friend who works on cars and can probably get me the batteries wholesale, I’m just trying to figure out which would be best.
Thanks again :slight_smile:

Ah, okay.
There are a whole lot of different types of batteries out there - as if that isn’t obvious - ie. what your cell phone uses versus the old “acid blocks”. I am by no means an expert, but I would ask around - there are zero maintenance high performance batteries out there - they cost a bit more, but are worth it in the long run… needless to say something like a lithium ion probably wouldn’t be cost effective, but something in-between. Start your searching on google for “gel sealed deep cycle” that should at least point you in the right direction.

I just heard back from my friend about what size I need, and another friend said the marine batteries can be smaller which is good I guess for weight
And less maintenance, geez didn’t think I would need to learn so much!
I’m thinking since I can hopefully get them wholesale, and if they lasted a couple of years I would be happy…
Thanks again for responding :j