Helper dc motor to drive shaft at rear axle

New to the forum and joined to try to get some info on an idea I had. Using a timing belt at some ratio attached to a sprocket at the rear u-joint mount at the axle, Could you possible improve gas milage with a helper motor.
I am thinking of a controller, clutch etc that is rpm sensitive and would add horsepower at the drive shaft say at 20 mph and help the gas engine milage. I do not want to loose any of the accessories on the engine ie ac,power steering,power brakes. I am only thinking of increasing gas milage on my nissan delevery truck. Sinse we are in the battery business , we need to keep the weight down for payload use. If there is a motor/controller that could use a minimal number of batteries it would help. Any thoughts on a hybrid in this configuration?

Some guy, Paul V., is already doing this for rear-drive cars. He has some neat stuff on his site(s) http://www.electricporsche.net/ …but the one car of his that I actually saw and drove (a Porsche 911) was rather unimpressive in terms of build quality and performance.

It’s a sound idea if you can get the electrics to sync up with the IC bits…

However, you will quickly get into the area of diminishing returns as the overall weight of the vehicle goes up. At some point, the ‘help’ you are getting from the electrics is really just help hauling that 2nd system along. You need lighter (ie. more expensive) batteries to really do you any kind of good.

FWIW…

I am a dealer for NetGain motors, and they sell a system through authorized dealers called “EMIS”. It will only work with 1996 and newer RWD vehicles, and it does just what you are saying; it goes in between the transmission and differential to increase fuel efficiency. All of the control is done via their interface through the OBDII system. There is no potbox or control wiring. The systems run at 48 to 72 volts and can increase the fuel efficiency by 25% and up, although it can cost over $5000 and is not sold uninstalled.

[QUOTE=kittydog42;2680]I am a dealer for NetGain motors, and they sell a system through authorized dealers called “EMIS”. It will only work with 1996 and newer RWD vehicles, and it does just what you are saying; it goes in between the transmission and differential to increase fuel efficiency. All of the control is done via their interface through the OBDII system. There is no potbox or control wiring. The systems run at 48 to 72 volts and can increase the fuel efficiency by 25% and up, although it can cost over $5000 and is not sold uninstalled.[/QUOTE]

A dealer, eh? Question then: Should one want to duplicate that EV Porsche site’s unlimited range setup, how large a generator would it take to power, say, a Warp 11 indefinitely? What sort of speed could a Warp 11 be expected to produce on a, say, 3500lb vehicle if set for direct drive?

What I’m looking for is a way to build an EV with unlimited range, that will maintain 75MPH on the highway, and be able to run bursts up to 125 or so for a limited amount of time, which duplicates how I drive now. That Porsche EV with a front mounted generator seems to be the way to go. With a set of batteries on board, I’d be able to drive to work and back without using the generator, and have the generator available for long distance driving, which to me would be the perfect vehicle. Using a petrol fuel to run a generator to extend range is not an issue to me.

Also, how well would one of these motors work with a 3 speed manual transmission? Was thinking that an 80s truck trans would work well with it, I could also use a “three on the tree” steering column shifting mechanism from a full size half ton truck. If the torque multiplication from a 3 speed would allow me to meet my speed and cruise requirements with a smaller motor, it would be even better.