Hard to break to a complete stop

Just bought a 2002 E2… new to the Gem… when breaking to a full stop from 20mph … is it normal that I feel like I have to step real hard to get it to stop?

2002 have no brakes.
@JarJarJava has the solution.

Stock brakes on the 2002 gems are poor, and your experience is probably typical. I did the front disk brake conversion on mine and it provides a dramatic improvement.
Do a search on the forum for disk brakes and you should find lots of info.
Dennis

1 Like

Congrats on your purchase.

Now your work starts as you need to go through it’s various systems to make sure it is road worthy.

Realize that your car is also 22 years old. Depending on what it has been through in its past life, It may have not received the best care from previous owners.

Part of these checks should be getting a good look at your brakes. They were anemic at best when they are factory fresh. One or more could be frozen(not working at all), have worn out shoes, or soaking wet from leaky wheel cylinders.

Depending on your intended use of this car(also future use?) you might consider a brake upgrade as Dennis suggests, rather than spending a bunch of cash on the factory drum brakes.

Add broken swing arm to inspection list.

Definitely do the disc brakes upgrade. Makes all the difference in having confidence the car will stop.