Georgia HOV Expiration Question

I am sorry if I am doing a faux pas by not searching the forums sufficiently as a new person. Please forgive me.

I have read in several of the my searches on google that in Georgia the HOV exemption will expire September 17, 2017. This includes a DMV entry that says it.

I had two questions if anyone has the answers would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

First, does it mean that I cannot apply for an AFV plate after that date, but I can still drive in the HOV lane solo?

Second, does it mean even if I have an AFV plate, I cannot drive in the lane after that date period?

Again thanks!

Short answer: you can apply for AFV plates any time, and they allow you to drive in HOV until Sept. 30, 2025.

Details:
This question bedeviled me for weeks as I called around until an officer I spoke with mentioned it is governed by federal law if federal funds were used to build the HOV or HOT lane. That revealed the FAST act, passed Dec. 4, 2015, which has an end date of Sept. 30, 2025. There are some old websites out there that haven’t been updated that show the previous, replaced expiration date of September 30, 2019.

If you want to see it in writing look up the law, or here is a good summary from the DOY:

See page 9, Allowable Exceptions, item (4)