General EV Questions and Answers. (noobs, come here first please)

Hello All, We, Kayo Battery (Shenzhen) Co., Ltd, can provide you high quality LiFePO4 battery pack for your Ev apllication.

Kayo Battery Group is a China-Japan joint venture company, which is major in manufacturing Li-Polymer, LiFePO4 battery, their main application is for Cordless tool and Electric Vehicle etc. we have more than 2 years’ experience in developing and producing LiFePO4 battery packs, the regular models cover 6V, 12V, 24V, 36V, 48V and 72V ranging from 3AH to 100AH.

For detailed information please visit www.kayobattery.com .

If custom developments are needed,please contact me at denny@kayobattery.com

Denny Ding
Sales Manager
Shenzhen Kayo Battery CO.,LTD
TEL: 86-755-28117967-812
FAX: 86-755-28117957
Mobil: 86-13480740462
Email:denny@kayobattery.com
MSN:dennyding2008@hotmail.com

Hello there.
Wondering if anyone has a lead on a cost effective and practical choice for 12V batteries that are either 20ah or 40ah. I need them to use as battery bank building blocks for an electric moped.
Also, I am a student of photovoltaics if there are any inquiries. I may not know the answer, but I know who does.

[QUOTE=sacrificial_anode;7303]Hello there.
Wondering if anyone has a lead on a cost effective and practical choice for 12V batteries that are either 20ah or 40ah. I need them to use as battery bank building blocks for an electric moped.
Also, I am a student of photovoltaics if there are any inquiries. I may not know the answer, but I know who does.[/QUOTE]

awesome i’ll keep that part about the solar stuff in mind, but otherwise welcome to the forum and I hope you can find the battery packs

Hi.
I am using a electric vehicle and it charging cost is going out of my budget by every month so by searching a lot on internet i came through this website Gnrgy - Energy Efficiency , is this website really helps in saving power while charging electric vehicles?

[QUOTE=darel60;7433]Hi.
I am using a electric vehicle and it charging cost is going out of my budget by every month so by searching a lot on internet i came through this website Gnrgy - Energy Efficiency , is this website really helps in saving power while charging electric vehicles?[/QUOTE]

that looks like it should help more in terms of your house bill, they are smart plugs and outlets mostly… it might help a bit but it depends on the charging unit you have.

Hey All,
I’m the manufacturer of [B]electric vehicle battery charger[/B],hope to do business with anyone who need it.Any questions also can ask me,I’m willing to answer.

Anybody who interested in pls email me:[B]export3@hztiecheng.com[/B]

Hello every one,

I am a 4th year engineering student. We have a project about an Electrical Personal Vehicles (EPV). The first task I need to do is about Marketing Manager. I am supposed to do 4Ps in marketing in our group which are Product, Place, Price and Promotion on the forum. Our idea for this project is a park and ride electrical car. Is it possible please if you guys help me and let me know your comments about these 4Ps regarding our project in the market?

Thanks

hi i,m an inventor and i believe i have your solution to the battery charging problems please watch my video
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sbIWAW69C8]YouTube - electric cars battery problem solved[/ame]

Good questions and answer we can get a advance knowledge about EV (Electric Vehicle) as well as Auto and manual about vehicle.:eek:

Maryland Auto Transport|Massachusetts Auto Transport:sick:

ok,I am totally new at this but exixting solar generator kits can deliver 15+ kilowatts per day,with 37 kw of storage,at up to 120 watts,and weigh aproxx 7000 lbs.
Coupleing that with and existing electric truck with a pay load of 15,000 lbs that would leave 8,000 lbs of payload left for building a motor home on board.
Does this seem doable or am I totally missing something with the math here.

Hopefully I am posting the correct way… Anyway, I have been researching EV conversions for awhile online, and I’m not sure, but I think I’m having real difficulty separating fact from crap. I’ve read that you don’t need to match motor HP with engine HP, but I’ve also read that HW speeds are only achievable with 120-144V. My conversion subject will be my ‘70 Fiat 500. The car is 9’ long, 4’wide, 4’ tall, 922 # with a full tank of gas, and attains 69 mph with its 18HP/6ft-lb torque inline 2 cylinder engine. I was looking at going the used forktruck route, but am concerned about the advice that I would need more power/40HP motor. If that is the case, my concern switches to physical space for batteries. If I have to replace a 90 lb engine with a 150 lb motor, then add 1032 lb in lead acid batteries (not to mention where I’ll stuff them), I think my project is dead in the water before starting. A guy in Italy converted a Fiat 500, with a 96V system, but used Li-po batteries ($10k), which I am not in a position to go with. I am not afraid of reading, but find no reason to waste my time buying bad info, when there are good resources out there, who know the good books, and have the good advice I need, without requiring me to first re-invent the wheel. Thanks for anything you all have to offer.
Chris

Hi all,
I’m part of a committee looking into developing a new vehicle challenge for high school students. Currently we run 3hp Briggs gas engines on a lightwheight chassis rolling 3-4 bicycle wheels. That challenge is highest mpg. We’re looking at introducing EV as competition class. Has anyone had any experience with smaller vehicles, motors, batteries and a method to measure consumption of battery? The course is 6 miles and can’t exceed 30mph. Any help would be appreciated:)

[QUOTE=mcsker;9482]Hi all,
I’m part of a committee looking into developing a new vehicle challenge for high school students. Currently we run 3hp Briggs gas engines on a lightwheight chassis rolling 3-4 bicycle wheels. That challenge is highest mpg. We’re looking at introducing EV as competition class. Has anyone had any experience with smaller vehicles, motors, batteries and a method to measure consumption of battery? The course is 6 miles and can’t exceed 30mph. Any help would be appreciated:)[/QUOTE]

You can measure the draw that is on a battery by the extended amount of time the vehicle is outputting power and base it off of an equation. so power, distance, and you would get the over all efficiency. I’m sure the Emissions departments has the formulas up on their websites.

Most People are Looking at the Lead Acid Batteries tag or Label values - or - the 20 Hour ‘Rating’ and seeing the value (Like the 150 Ah worth of energy) and forget that means 150 / 20 = 7.5 Amps load. They really need to get the spec ‘Chart’ that shows the 20 hour, 15 hour, 12 hour, 10 hour, 9 hour, 8 hour, … > 1 hour, and if possible the 45 minute, 30 minute, 15 minute, 10 minute, and 5 minute ratings!

In my whitepapers on Electricfly - MyElectricfly.com - I just use the 1 hour ratings for comparison, but most lead acid battery makers don’t give a lot of information in a full chart - like the Surrette’s do (All sizes | Surrette-Battery-Specs_Combined-Table | Flickr - Photo Sharing! ), so most of us go off guessing what we have available, and it makes us think lead acid is so much cheaper than Lithium iron Phosphate - but - in the EV Application and loads, it’s not.

Since the plan in building an EV Conversion - should be - in my mind: Determine how you want to drive it, compare the Torque Ratings of the original Engine, with what torque is available - at what volts x amps, from the desired electric motor, and if it can deliver the torque desired - then look at the power needs Volts x Amps = Watts (divided by 1000 = kilowatts [kW]), and get a controller than can exceed that power need by 50% at least, and build a battery pack that can exceed that by at least 50% in a continuous rating. That in itself pretty much excludes all Lead Acid Batteries - and might even eliminate some of the lower cost Lithium Iron Phosphate cells in a smaller pack!

The Number of interest - is the ‘C’ Rating - continuous - for the cells, and - don’t forget - that ‘C’ Rating means two things: [1] how many times the rated energy can it deliver power: 3C = 3 X the Ah label rating, while 10C means 10X the Ah label rating and 30C = 30X the Labels Rating, and [2] - also remember: 3C = 60 minutes of run time (1C) divided by 3 = 20 minutes; and 10C = 60 minutes /10 = 6 minutes; and 30C = 60 / 30 = 2 minutes!

So - if you want range - you need to determine how much power you can deliver at something between 2C (30 minutes) and 0.5C (120 Minutes). After that - you need to work back, deciding how empty you want to drain your pack from full - or the Depth of Discharge: DOD! Most Lead Acid Batteries should not really be drained below 50%, and Lithium Iron Phosphate below 80% if you want a decent life from them: [lead Acid might give 500 - 800 Cycles, or if you have excellent batteries - maybe 1,000 cycles; while Lithium can deliver 1,000 cycles for 100% DOD, and usually about 2,000 Cycles for 80% DOD, but - at 70% DOD - even deliver some 3,000+ cycles!]

My goals are to work with a 70% DOD for normal conditions - leaving the last 10% going down to 80% DOD as a reserve. Then - since you have calculated your needs - divide by the 70% figure to get the net energy at your required loads your pack needs to store and make available.

Example - you need 300 Wh / Mile, and need to drive 50 miles - that means yo need 50 x 300 = 15,000 Watt Hours [Wh] usable. To find out how big your pack energy needs to be - divide by 0.7 [70% DOD] = 21428.57 Wh (21.43 kWh, approximately).

If your Lead Acid Batteries 1 hour rate can deliver this - you are in luck (I suspect not), otherwise select a lithium Iron Phosphate Cell rated to take the power loads describe above, and build a pack with them to deliver the total energy for your target range.

This is not cheap - but it is purpose driven - rather than experiment driven. Maybe I am wrong - but - in today’s terms - I feel that lead Acid is genuinely not cheaper than LiFePO4. >>> Electricfly - MyElectricfly.com contain my thoughts and calculations. See if you agree, or not!

Also helpful are the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
LEVELS of AC and DC Charging for PEVs (Plug-in Electric Vehicles - generic term for all plug-in vehicles EV, BEV, PHEV, NEV, etc.) per J1772 standards for vehicle connectors.

AC levels 1 & 2 (There is no AC Level 3 at present - this term is often incorrectly used to describe DC Level 2 - aka DC Fast Charge - see below)

AC level 1 (SAE J1772™)
PEV includes on-board charger
120V, 1.4 kW @ 12 amp
120V, 1.9 kW @ 16 amp
Est. charge time:
PHEV: 7hrs (SOC* - 0% to full)
BEV: 17hrs (SOC – 20% to full)

AC level 2 (SAE J1772™)
PEV includes on-board charger (see below for different
types)
240 V, up to 19.2 kW (80 A)
Est. charge time for 3.3 kW on-board charger
PEV: 3 hrs (SOC* - 0% to full)
BEV: 7 hrs (SOC – 20% to full)
Est. charge time for 7 kW on-board charger
PEV: 1.5 hrs (SOC* - 0% to full)
BEV: 3.5 hrs (SOC – 20% to full)
Est. charge time for 20 kW on-board charger
PEV: 22 min. (SOC* - 0% to full)
BEV: 1.2 hrs (SOC – 20% to full)

DC Level 1 & 2

DC Level 1
EVSE includes an off-board charger
200-500 V DC, up to 40 kW (80 A)
Est. charge time (20 kW off-board charger):
PHEV: 22 min. (SOC
- 0% to 80%)
BEV: 1.2 hrs. (SOC – 20% to 100%)

DC Level 2
EVSE includes an off-board charger
200-500 V DC, up to 100 kW (200 A)
Est. charge time (45 kW off-board charger):
PHEV: 10 min. (SOC* - 0% to 80%)
BEV: 20 min. (SOC – 20% to 80%)

*In development
Voltages are nominal configuration voltages, not coupler ratings
Rated Power is at nominal configuration operating voltage and coupler rated current
Ideal charge times assume 90% efficient chargers, 150W to 12V loads and no balancing of Traction Battery Pack

Being a beginner it was worth reading every word.

It can definitely work with both 110-120 volts and 220-240v sockets. The only difference will be it will be slower for the 11-120v. The usual 8 hours that an electric vehicle will consume to be fully-charged will most likely be 12-14 hours. If you are thinking that you can save more if you convert the entire engineering of the house from 220 to 110, then, you might consider thinking twice when you already have an electric vehicle.

It is much more constructive to reference the miles of range gained for each hour of charge at the different levels. One only recharges the portion of the battery used. No one uses 100% of the battery daily and more than 75% of people drive 40 miles or less per day. In many regions it is 25 miles average/day.
There are approx 4-6 miles of range gained for each hour of charge on 110-120V charging ([B]AC Level 1 per SAE[/B]).
On 208, 220 or 240V (all are possible for connection of [B]AC Level 2[/B] equipment) the Amperage will be the major difference for rate of charging…there are 4 different amperage levels we see presently.
At 220 V:
30 Amp = 8-12 miles of range/hour (3.3 kW charging - Volt, 2012 LEAF)
40 A = 16-24 miles (6.6 kW charging - e.g. Ford Focus EV, LEAF SV)
60 A = approx 32+ (.6 kW charging RAV 4 EV)
80 A = approx 60/hour (e.g. Tesla Model S)

At Commercial locations in the future we will see [B]DC Level 2 /B using both Japanese standard connector - CHAdeMO(LEAF only major production vehicle) and Combo Connector Standard - CCS (SAE US Standard) to be used for all US and European vehicles coming to market with DC Fast (e.g. Chevy Spark EV and BMW i3 are first). Again rate will vary depending on level of installation (Voltage and Amperage). Fewer Japanese manufacturers will use CHAdeMO in the future and adopt the US Standard. CHAdeMO vs CCS = Betamax vs. VHS?

Electronic vehicle is helpful for aged people also because with the help of this they freely enjoy their life independently. In market many EV are avaliable for that people.

There are currently 20 different models of PEVs in the U.S. right now…and 20 more models in the next 3 year.