GEM won't go over 29 mph

Mike I reset it back to the 235,255,218,170 counts which seems to run the best or do you want me to use those or the 208,235,100,80 settings?

if you don’t mind . I wish I had a t3 to run these tests myself , but don’t . there is a chance that using those numbers and reducing your rolling ratio so that your speedo cant flash 26 might give u a little more top end . if it does leave it there and contact me. we maybe able to fine tune more .

I want to try everything we can .

[quote=kinghappy;29347]if you don’t mind . I wish I had a t3 to run these tests myself , but don’t . there is a chance that using those numbers and reducing your rolling ratio so that your speedo cant flash 26 might give u a little more top end . if it does leave it there and contact me. we maybe able to fine tune more .

I want to try everything we can .[/quote]

I just need to know which settings you want me to use the 235 or 208 group?

Thanks

greg,

#4 to 208
#8 to 235
#9 218
#10 170

#9 and 10 are about regen which wont affect top speed . I want u to keep them at these #'s for extended battery life on decal.
u said u were hitting 26mph with these #4 and #8 settings . at 26 mph your controller well start pulling back speed . want u to run these #'s but change your rr#13 down lower so your speedo cant hit 26 .

call me if u need more info

Roger that!

Mike, still the same but 28 mph on GPS. So I guess my T3 has some type of limiter that won’t let it go over 29 mph. RFF said they would have a motor that would get me 40 mph, but I would have to let them know it was for an 05. Not sure why, they didn’t give a reason.

Thanks for everyones help.

Greg

[quote=OLD HOUSEBOATER;29266]Dave

I have a small quirk, I don’t give up[/quote]

I’m counting on that. :smiley:

RFF motor won’t do any good until you get past the RPM limiter… RFF programs tha controller as part of the package. Call them up and pick their brain then come back and tell us what they say. I HATE being beat.

Rodney

[quote=spider445;29415]Mike, still the same but 28 mph on GPS. So I guess my T3 has some type of limiter that won’t let it go over 29 mph. RFF said they would have a motor that would get me 40 mph, but I would have to let them know it was for an 05. Not sure why, they didn’t give a reason.

Greg[/quote]

I’ll re-post my earlier edit then.

Didn’t want to bother you while you’re in mourning!:eek:

I have a manual field weakening for someone to test on a stock car with MM.

Wired to a hand switch.

Lowers field current 30% when pressed.

Need an opinion before turning it loose on Greg.

Going to have to be a T3 car - not too many around

Suppose I could turn my minimum field up until car will only go 20, then see if my device works.

for what your looking for a motor exchange is probably your best bet . the company that used to manufacture the blue RFF motors is called DDmotorsystems.com . they can set you up with a motor that well work for your setup. they say that they are cheaper then RFF . understand you can make a motor for high rpm or for torque . same hp just different applications . Grant has a 9.8 hp motor in his cart . it was designed for torque not top speed . you should be able to get a motor that well work with your controller and give you more top speed then the stock motor .

p.s. I have a t4 controller that I can sell u . preprogrammed for top speed , but I don’t think it well give you all you want with a stock motor . I truly believe that what your looking for is only going to be accomplished with a new motor .

2005 was the only year for the T3

[quote=spider445;29415]Mike, still the same but 28 mph on GPS. So I guess my T3 has some type of limiter that won’t let it go over 29 mph. RFF said they would have a motor that would get me 40 mph, but I would have to let them know it was for an 05. Not sure why, they didn’t give a reason.

Greg[/quote]

Well sorry for no replies just got back from a mini vacation. Did some checking on my problem and found out some interesting things.

1. If you have a T-3 you can not change out the govenor speed adjustment SO
    DON’T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON A PROGRAMMER KIT!!!

2. The only way to make a 2005 go faster with stock motor is by going to larger
    diameter tires. Or a different motor with higher RPM’s

3. A new Hi speed motor also requires the 8 pole magnet to be changed to a 4 pole
    magnet, which tricks the brain to think you are going slower. (Dave still not sure
    why your MM doesn’t work on my GEM since I think this is what your MM does)

4. Was told that new motor should get me to 40 mph and all settings should remain
    stock except for setting 13 which should be changed to 117.

Thanks again for your help, and hope this provides you with some updated information relating to the T-3 controller.

Greg

Yes, that is exactly what it does.
It will work with any new motor also.

I was hoping to get some encouragement from forum to send you a new one to try.

I could send one with a tach that would give Rodney more information on T3 RPM limit.

Also have a switchable field shunt to test. It’s not for the faint of heart.:eek:

What are your plans?

Guess I could give them a try! What does the switchable field shunt do, and what could it possibly damage?

Mike,

Since my T-3 is so rare it must be worth more than that old T-4 (LOL) shoot me a price on the T-4 in a IM.

It would help me more than you. :smiley:

It’s not something you could leave on the car.
At full speed you can push a switch to lower field current 20%.

The tach will show at what speed the motor is limited by the controller.

Damage to controller is always possible if something is mis-wired or shorted.:frowning:

What was the source of this information? Told to you who?

Daves MM does exactly the same thing as a high speed magnet

Hi speed motor has more RPM capability without destroying itself You should be able to wind up a stock motor until it destroy’s it self. Would sure like to see the field weakening tried.

Dave why does FW have to be on/off cant a resister be installed in line?

Any how IssaquahWA1979 has a 2005 the same set up with a RFF motor and were going to find out what happens this week

[quote=spider445;29555]Well sorry for no replies just got back from a mini vacation. Did some checking on my problem and found out some interesting things.

1. If you have a T-3 you can not change out the govenor speed adjustment SO
    DON’T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON A PROGRAMMER KIT!!!

2. The only way to make a 2005 go faster with stock motor is by going to larger
    diameter tires. Or a different motor with higher RPM’s

3. A new Hi speed motor also requires the 8 pole magnet to be changed to a 4 pole
    magnet, which tricks the brain to think you are going slower. (Dave still not sure
    why your MM doesn’t work on my GEM since I think this is what your MM does)

4. Was told that new motor should get me to 40 mph and all settings should remain
    stock except for setting 13 which should be changed to 117.

Thanks again for your help, and hope this provides you with some updated information relating to the T-3 controller.

Greg[/quote]

Resistance in-line won’t work.
Controller sends measured amps to field. It would try to compensate. As if battery was low.

Shunting field is classical way to speed up dc shunt motor.

A large enough resistor could be left connected. But it would limit field current when needed for torque, and have to dissipate a large amount of power.

For testing. A switch is added to just weaken field when needed.

If it worked, it could be done automatically when needed.

First guinea pig needs to be someone who won’t sue me. :smiley:

Don’t dare run any more rpms on mine. I have nothing to test it on.