GEM spindle nut

I have 2009 eL XD. My unit has heavy duty 5 lug stud hubs. Unit has 7.0 HP motor. I need the torque wrench setting requirements for the front spindle nut. Has anyone else had problems with spindle nuts loosening? I suspect it is due to direct drive electric motor which has 5 times as much starting torque as gasoline engine. Drive lines were more than likely design selected based on HP rating rather than torque values. I now have 8500 miles on original batteries and still running great. Thanks for any help!

I have a Electric impact driver/wrench. I’m pretty sure it’s rated at 500 flbs I never go that tight I hit it with the wrench and as soon as the nut clamps down and starts slow turning I stop I would say 150-200 at the most. I have striped a few rusty ones b4 so they can’t take that much torque

1 Like

Spindle nuts tend to “not become tight” due to normal bearing wear. If bearing is not noisy just tighten the nut. I dont know the exact spec. How ever I thghten mine to about 70+ foot pounds.

1 Like

Hello Grantwest & Old_houseboater

Thank you for your help. I had estimated 75-100 ft/lb. When I first had my GEM state inspected, they told me my left front wheel was to loose, GEM only had 114 miles on it. I went through second bi-annual inspection and they would not pass. I told them to tighten the spindle nuts, but he used air impact wrench and I was afraid it was too tight and might crack bearing race. I just do not think he realized it was not a lug nut.

Some additional information, I am a mechanical engineer and design special equipment including house boats, wind powered generation systems and electric powered boats. I am also on ABYC project technical committees and ISO technical advisory group member. If I can be of help, just ask.

I will check to see if it is the manual tomorrow. I pressed the bearing out of an eS this afternoon, it had the “loose nut” too.

The torque spec is 65 Ft-Lb, and Locktite 242 is supposed to be used on the threads.

Thanks, RussJ. That helps a lot.