Gem car with no title

Hi, I am trying to buy a 96 Gem trans 2. A golf cart dealer took it in on trade, and did not even know it had a title. I live in NC.,but will be using it at the beach in Florida. Can I get a title for it, and should I register it in North Carolina, or Florida? Is it possible to not register it since I won’t be driving on a Main Street? Any advice would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks,
Pam

Here in california you don’t need a title to drive it on private property, example Golf Corse’s, private Comunitys but the min it go’s on public roads it needs a lic

Thank you! Anybody know what the law is in Panama City Beach, Fl?

Check the Internet for “Panama City Beach, Fl. Vehicle rule Sec.22-108” you will find that GOLF CARTS are allowed with a few safety restrictions. Also note there are some streets that use is restricted, all though crossing at intersections is allowed. I suggest you check with the City Hall/Police station for a copy of the rules, etc. But it appears no title or registration is required. Just be sure that you are calling your Gem a “Golf Cart”. Also you might want to contact your Insurance agent about any Insurance coverage you may need.

Strongly suggest you don’t buy a 1996 GEM. They are an orphan. They are an obsolete 48 volt cart and service for any cart before 1999 is nonexistant as well as electrical components are not available.

Additionally A GEM cart is front wheel drive and doesn’t work well off road and are useless in the sand. For beach use get a Yamaha gas cart suitably equipped for off road.

Rodney

1 Like