Gem Car 2002 Battery Question

Hello everyone, after reading all the great info on this site I decided to join in the fun!
I just bought a 2002 Gem Car and I have a question about the batteries and charger. The previous owner could not get it to charge and put a few battery chargers on each battery until he could get it to take a charge. He found 2 batteries that were shot. It has/had the Trojan 30XHS in it and he replaced 2 of the batteries with some commercial NAPA type 31 No maintenance AGM batteries part # 7238. I know its probably not the best to mix batteries and wanted to get your thoughts. I know I need to replace the other 4 so should I stay with the NAPA or go back to Trojans or go to Gels and upgrade the Zivan NG1 charger? So to recap I have a mix of 2 Brand new NAPA 7238 Commercial Batteries and 4 Trojan 30XHS.

Thank you for your reply in advance!

The Zivan NG1 can be configured to work with numerous battery types. Electric Conversions can also program the charger to you exact needs. I do not recommend mixing battery types, unless you are upgrading by attrition (replacing the old type batteries as they wear out). In the interim, you should set the charger for AGM because the flooded setting uses a higher voltage that may be harmful to the AGM. You may then need to equalize the batteries more often. You do not need to replace the NG1 to run GEL batteries. The NAPA part number for a Dekka GEL group 31 battery is 8272. I have been using these in four GEMs for over five years now.

Daniel

[QUOTE=GEMmechanic;9677]The Zivan NG1 can be configured to work with numerous battery types. Electric Conversions can also program the charger to you exact needs. I do not recommend mixing battery types, unless you are upgrading by attrition (replacing the old type batteries as they wear out). In the interim, you should set the charger for AGM because the flooded setting uses a higher voltage that may be harmful to the AGM. You may then need to equalize the batteries more often. You do not need to replace the NG1 to run GEL batteries. The NAPA part number for a Dekka GEL group 31 battery is 8272. I have been using these in four GEMs for over five years now.

Daniel[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your reply, I was planning to replace them through attrition. I am a newbie when it comes to electric Gem Cars and Golf cart batteries.

The specs on the 2 new batteries are
Attributes:
Battery CA @ 32 Degrees F : 910
Battery CCA @ 0 Degrees F : 760
Battery Posts Type : Stud
Battery Reserve Capacity : 170
Battery Weight : 54.5 lbs
Not sure what the 20 Hr Rate is.

So should I stay with this battery or replace them with a completely different setup. My longterm goals are to get the best distance and speed out of it. I was thinking about upgrading the controller and motor and having the charger updated. I would like to put a lift on and some aggressive tread pattern tires so I can take it out to the deer lease to sneak around on occasion. I am not sure which way to go on batteries to be the correct solution long term.

Thanks again!

Are you sure NAPA 7238 is an AGM? A search of their website shows 7238 as a wet battery. The online price listed is $197, which would be a bargain price for such a battery. The market price is about $250. I would suggest that you call Electric Conversions, the Zivan distributor for the US. They can be reached here: Zivan Charger Sales & Service and GEM Charger Repair . They are very helpful and will tell you if the charger needs to be reprogrammed. Most of the time, they do just because the software has improved over the last decade. All three of our GEMs that use the Zivan charger have since been upgraded. The cost is less than $200. They inspect the circuits for damage and then enter the data for the type of battery you will be using. The turn around is about two weeks. I have had good results overall with AGM batteries. By using NAPA, you won’t have to pay for shipping and they will give you back $10 for each old battery. AGM batteries will not leak acid on your garage floor or driveway. Best of all, you don’t have to add water.

Daniel

I have a gem car with the delta-q 912-7200-1 charger. I want to put agm batteries in the vehicle. Is there a setting to use for agm batteries.

If not, is there another charger that I could get to accommodate agm batteries

NAPA 7238 is a cranking battery, not a deep cycle battery. This battery should not be used in a GEM, except in an emergency. However, NAPA 8272 is a GEL and is deep cycle. We use this battery exclusively in four GEM vehicles.

Daniel

DQ algorithms

If you charger is older it may not have an AGM setting. Use the gel setting. A flooded setting will eat AGM:s.

To car battery,I don’t know more about car battery charger. I just familiar about how to use bestek 300w power inverter to charge camera battery. Since I like to take camera with me when travelling around. So friend recommends this tool to me. Maybe you can get more information on here. Have a nice day.