GEM 2002 for sale, no key

I am thinking about purchasing a GEM golf cart that is street legal in CA. It does not have a key for the ignition. The seller had it in storage for over 4 years. Batteries are charged, but I want to make sure it turns over and drives. The ignition looks like it is a replacement, but on the forum I’ve seen that Medeco was the ignition on these units. I have attached a picture. Should I try and get a key made or just hot-wire it to get it started?

1 Like

That appears factory, fit and finish was not their high point. [quote=“mpz1, post:1, topic:11967”]
KB
[/quote]

1 Like

You can order a key if you buy it. For now just unscrew the cover abs hot wire it. Very quick and simple. Phil

If it sat for 4 years the batteries are gone and it isn’t going to run.

I ordered a spare key for my 2000 E85 from Medco but it was way more expensive than a key maker. The key maker said since it was a Medco he couldn’t copy it. If the GEM sat for four years even if the batteries are charged they will not last more than a few minutes of power. Consider that it does not have any batteries at all in your price.

I have ordered like 6 keys from Midwest Keys.com they are medco keys you can read the number on the ignition it will give you the key #