GEL batteries dead after 15 months?

Full River batteries are not Gels they are AGM. If you are set for Gels you are under charging them.

1 Like

Iā€™d convert to LI before Iā€™d pay $284 per batteryā€¦ $1,700!!

Please convert me to li for less than 2k.:raising_hand_woman:

2 Likes

you are correct fullriver are agm type.Do I need my charger set another way?

You do if itā€™s not set to AGM. Some older chargers do not have an AGM algotithm so Gel is the best you can do. DONā€™T DO FLOODED it will dry them out.

To reset it to agm is there a way I can do it?

Make and model# of charger - what year is your cart

Delta Q 2011 gem e2 Donā€™t have the car up to get under for modlel#

Yours is new enough. 125 -126-141-151-225 are all algorithms for Full River AGMā€™s

Here is Delta Qā€™s list

To read your number plug the charger in and read the flashes (example 245) 2 gap 4 gap 5 pause 2 gap 4 gap 5 pause - repeats for 11 seconds then goes into charge mode

Thanks! I will consider this. I am a back yard mechanic, way in the back. I can read instructions. I can probably change out my gels one for one. But past that Iā€™m in that not so sure area. I hope someone comes up with an actual manual with pictures! Iā€™d be willing to pay for that because it still would be cheaper than gels. Really, someone needs to come up with a kit. Iā€™d buy it.:heavy_dollar_sign:

Iā€™m with Barry! Iā€™d do this today if I could source all requisite parts and reasonable instructions from one place.

guys ,

iā€™m the one that did it . itā€™s much easier then you think . I would be glad to help you thru the process . my only concern is that you are working with 80+ volts and you need to be careful with that . the conversion its self is easy .

rascal, I see your in fort myers . iā€™m in naples so if you want to check it out let me know .

My Gels are down to about 12 miles. Iā€™m in the same ā€œWantā€ stage as Lasloninme and Barry. A parts list, a source and lots of pictures would be Great.

Iā€™m in the same boat a s Barry and Laslonime. My gels are down to about 12 miles. Parts list, source and lots of words and pictures would be appreciated.

Rodney

Rodney ,

for all you do for everyone on this forum , I would be glad to put this info together for you .( and everyone else)

iā€™m going to post it on the thread I started because there is already lots of pics and info .

http://www.electricforum.com/cars/gem-recreational-nevs-forum/9035-starting-lithium-upgrade.html

your pretty mechanically inclined , but if you do this I would be glad to stop buy and help , when I go up to the villages to visit my parents .

[quote=kinghappy;27514]guys ,

iā€™m the one that did it . itā€™s much easier then you think . I would be glad to help you thru the process . my only concern is that you are working with 80+ volts and you need to be careful with that . the conversion its self is easy .

rascal, I see your in fort myers . iā€™m in naples so if you want to check it out let me know .[/quote]

Iā€™m very interestedā€¦ My plate is full right now with getting my old Melex golf cart cleaned up to sell and my Premier pontoon boat also sold while the snow turds are here. I hope to have some extra cash when the boat is sold to do my LI gem conversion.

Iā€™m interested in having my 2008 controller reprogramed as Iā€™m now locked in at about 30 mph (15" tires). I have the factory 7 hp motor. Before I read about your LI conversion, I was thinking about buying the ride4fun 7.5 high rpm motor and having them program the controller. I want more top end but donā€™t want to lose my excellent off the line rush of the 12:1 gears. As you stated, with the LI conversion yours is as quick as a cat that stuck its butt in turpentine and passed a freight like an Olds 88!

I think the LI conversion and programing the speed block makes more sense then buying a new motorā€¦ I could use my 1 year old Gel batteries for a hurricane back up electric system for my Trouse here in Del Turaā€¦ Iā€™ll be in touch.

Jerry

jerry,

you donā€™t need a ride4fun motor , your 7hp is plenty .I didnā€™t know they put the 7hp with the 12.1 gear box .
with the 12.1 box and 5hp mine is set to 34mph , it well go faster but I held it there to protect the motor some .

fyi: you can buy the software and cable for under $100 . but there is a learning curve , if you donā€™t want to do it ,my brother reprograms controllers for 150. he comes to you

[quote=kinghappy;27540]jerry,

you donā€™t need a ride4fun motor , your 7hp is plenty .I didnā€™t know they put the 7hp with the 12.1 gear box .
with the 12.1 box and 5hp mine is set to 34mph , it well go faster but I held it there to protect the motor some .

fyi: you can buy the software and cable for under $100 . but there is a learning curve , if you donā€™t want to do it ,my brother reprograms controllers for 150. he comes to you[/quote]

Its a 2008 ā€œSpecial Editionā€ limited production ten year anniversary model. Very few made. Comes in only one color (metallic Blue) Loaded with options included the 7 hp and 12.??/1 motor. 16K out the door in 2008.

Your brothers $150 is ā€œFair Dinkumā€ versus my buying the cables/software + learning curve and I donā€™t have a lap top computer. I just want to get rid of my 30 mph ceiling and NOT mess with low/mid range power. With the LI batteries lighter weight, I hope to bump close to 40 mph and retain the quick take off I now haveā€¦ Possible?

jerry

the problem isnā€™t power , its that with the 12.1 gear ratio you run your motor rpmā€™s high . the bigger tires gave you more top speed with the same rpmā€™s . but to go faster now you have to over ride your speedo and turn more rpmā€™s .

know one knows what the max rpm the motors well take . I run the same gear box and a 5hp and limit it to 34mph . so far so good (10 year old motor).

the way I see it if it breaks then iā€™ll put in a different motor .

assuming your 7hp is similar I would think your ok to do the same or try more , its up to you.

One of the big reasons Polaris went back to the 10.35 box is us guys with no respect kept bumping the speed. The basic motor is 4100 rpm. running 23 diameter tires with a 12.44 gear box is 7276 RPM at 40 MPH. This sorta scatters the motors.