EV insurance

Since I am interested in buying an EV pickup, I called my insurance company and several others also and they all said “no” to insurance for any converted vehicle. Is there any insurance companies that will insure an EV? Thanks for any information. George

Any luck yet?

your best bet is to just keep it insured under the normal vehicles specs and then dont tell them… i know it sounds retarded but they aren’t helping so…

You could be setting yourself up for big trouble if you go that route. Like, you get in a wreck and the insurance company uses your conversion as an excuse not to provide coverage. And then you get blacklisted and have to pay out the bunghole for insurance in the future, if you can get it at all.

you dont need full coverage… just list your car as modified… and have it covered as liability…

I know this post is not that old but any luck yet finding a company. Like mentioned maybe it is not a big deal and liabiltiy should be enough for most cars converted out there. Maybe not a TESLA roadster. I’m sure there is a way around it.

If no luck in the next few months maybe I can talk to some people. I know a few people in small insurance startups. Credit as well. We all know the less privalged people would be more than happy to drive a car that only cost 1 penny per mile to drive. maybe they just need a bit to help them get into the seat.

I’ll keep watch.

State farm is totally okay with insureing my EV. I am in Phoenix btw. YOu might want to look into them.

Our EV-1 was insured with Farmers; never a problem . . . except when the agent was taking the application over the phone. We’d just had a raised eyebrow on car #1 (Volvo S-70) when he couldn’t believe it had five cylinders. Just wait till we get to car #2, I thought.

(There’s a good trivia question perhaps: “J had two cars, which totalled five cylinders. Explain.”)

George
When my conversion was ready for the road, I called my agent to start the policy. I explained that the '82 Dodge had an electric motor and she said no problem. Just to be safe, I asked her to call the home office (Pekin - Pekin, Ill.) and they said no problem. They may not service your area; I’m in central Ind.
tommyt

[QUOTE=ggmoelle;43]Since I am interested in buying an EV pickup, I called my insurance company and several others also and they all said “no” to insurance for any converted vehicle. Is there any insurance companies that will insure an EV? Thanks for any information. George[/QUOTE] Who is your insurer so we can all drop them if we have them!:mad:

I just found this site and I’m excited to jump in and get my hands dirty. :slight_smile:

I am building a 2000 VW Passat so I called my insurance company (State Farm) to find out about insuring this car as an EV. They initially told me they couldn’t insure it. Then my agent retired and I was transferred to another State Farm agent. I called her to see if SHE would insure it and she asked me how much the conversion would cost and how much the ICE version of the car was worth. I told her about $6000 for the VW and 6-8K for the conversion. She did some research and came back and told me that State Farm would insure it as a normal ICE vehicle with the understanding that if the EV propulsion system was damaged in an accident that they would cut me a check for whatever the damages were and let me fix it myself. There are many questions I need answered about this answer but at least they have agreed to insure it.

So I think if one agent tells you something just call others until you get the answer you want.

-Rick Stewart

I recently posted a reply to the insurance question in which I said that Pekin had no problem with my EV. Just got a letter from them which said that they would not renew my policy in Jan. That’s PEKIN in Ill.
tommyt
ps. PEKIN INSURANCE CO.